DIY LumenArcs

wanareef

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

R3

Pix's for ya. The one's that I first made were for DE bulbs and not for SE - extra step and material.

The hardest part was the slot. I'm not much of a sheetmetal worker DOH! but I can fake it.

I used a 2 1/2" hole saw for the hole and had to use a burr to open it up even more cause of the angle of the socket.

The bulb's center is suppose to be in the center of the reflector - that's why the in and out (whistle) adjustment, so I've read.

Now back to HD to find the right screws for the bracket.

post-77-141867745381_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867745383_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867745386_thumb.jpg

I finished my reflectors today with exception of the light sockets. Those should be here in about two days. Reflectors came out pretty well. There is a little bit of a learning curve as my first one looks good but the second one looks even better. Thanks for all your help in getting me the apps for the patterns wanareef.

Cool. Now you know how to do it so when I need some help (a long time from now), you can help me. :) Someday I may want to switch from T5 to MH.

Maybe if I win a ballast in a raffle... Sounds familiar. :)

Good to hear that the new lighting is coming along. How goes the leads on finding sockets and bulbs? Are you going to go DE or SE?

dsoz

going se radiums on the hqi balast. Im sure bulb life will suck but it will be nice and bright. Sockets should be in the mail in about 2 days. I am buying a hood from Prada, and then I just have to put it all together. I was very suprised that my $10 in raffle tickets won me the highest priced thing there. That was fun

Well, post some pix's gotta see your work :D Glad you got those dwg's printed out.

Did you drill the hole for SE socket? It's eaiser to do it while it's still flat, but still do able.

Heh, heh, I just got a dwg for the LumenBright and will be playing with that.

It's huge when blown up to the size I wanted, I always wanted the Lumenbright Pendant but settled on the Lumenarcs, now maybe I can have the LumenBrights.

I have yet to drill the hole. I was affraid to without the sockets here yet. I will probably punch a hole and cut it out with my snips. or maybe hole saw if I have one large enough. I will post some pics when they are done. They didn't turn out perfect but I think good enough. Thanks again for the dwg file. It was easy to figure out once I had the right file to work with and a cad program.

A 2 1/2" hold will give you more than enough room about 1/8 to 1/4 clearence all around. If you use a smaller hole saw like 2 1/8" you'll have to open it up for the "angle" of the socket. You can see where to put it DOH! on one of the pix I posted (laugh)

those are looking very good! I seen the plans some time ago but cant seen to be able to see the mesurments well enouph to make one! My brother has a large (2foot x 8 foot I think) piece of 22 gage aluminium ( I think) polished on one side. If I can get that from him could you make me one out of it and you could have the rest ? Do you have one of those mettal benders like the hvac guys use for bending the duct?

Cool! I'll call him tonight. I dont know if I could explain how thick that is, I just konw that its thicker than the solar tube. The metal bender is a 1.5 foot long hand tool, really quite nice, would make the bends super strait, I'll bring it with if my bro gives me the sheet and let ya use it! Depending on how many you can make with the sheet maybe if ya like the tool ya make me 2 and ya keep the tool.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is a great thread. I have no clue how I missed it until now( since I've been searching for it).DOH! I gotta get some of these built and was trying to find the DIY thread so I could get the specs. Do you have a spec sheet for the SE style ones Charles? I think I am going to do 4. I think I may add in the draft vents behind it also since that seems like a great idea too. This is a project I think I am going to have to let my Grandpa help me with. He is a retired sheet metal estimator and builder, and loves to get little projects going whenever possible to let him do some of it again...

I have two of them that I am not using. I cut some holes for SE bulbs. They could use a polish but they are cheap is someone wants them.

PM me pictures and a price if you would. I will still be making my own but it may be nice to have a visual for reference while doing so. Then I could just sell them off for the same price at the end.