DIY LumenArcs

wanareef

Went shopping for a light for the tank, 36"L x 24"D x 21"H thought that one LumenBright 3 Pendant in DE and maybe 2x URI's on either side would cover the tank.

Talked to Keith @ FishyBusiness (cause I was gonna to order the DE Pendant and a 14K DE Phoenix bulb for the free shipping) that it would have shadows in the corners.

So I decided to find a Solar Tube Extension to make my own reflectors. The Velux 14" x 24" fits two reflectors, exactly.

So far... one completely cut out and waiting assembly.

Will post more pix's when done. Should be tomorrow. (clap)

post-77-141867775652_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867775654_thumb.jpg

post-77-14186777566_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867775664_thumb.jpg

post-77-141867775667_thumb.jpg

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jay

I found that the tube will just be enough for two reflectors and since these will be in a hood, one side might be off by 1/16". The 14" dia x 24" is about 43 3/4" laid out and the pattern is about 21 3/4". I cut the material in half for eaiser working and cutting.

There is a film to protect the "shiny" side and this is the side I attached the pattern to. I used the spray adhesive from 3m.

The cost of the tube was $34 @ Lowes. I've had the patterns for some time now, time - open the box and "unroll" the material, 5 mins, spray adhesive onto the back of the pattern 2 mins, total of 4 mins for both fixtures, cutting - maybe 10 mins, assembly shouldn't be more than 30 mins for one, drilling holes and pop rivit it together.

Will be assembling it today and try to keep track of time, but from start to finish you should be able to do two in a couple of hours (probably less) with the tools on hand.

Mike I have extra patterns, but you'll have to cut and paste it together.

I built a couple of those. I made a small mod to the design, I cut a 2 1/2" hole in the top and put in a second "bottom" with spacers that way the heat goes out the top. When the lights are on you can feel the draft from the vents. The original idea was to attach flex hose like you use for the dryer and have a fan pull air from the reflector, I may still do it like that.

I built a couple of those. I made a small mod to the design' date=' I cut a 2 1/2" hole in the top and put in a second "bottom" with spacers that way the heat goes out the top. When the lights are on you can feel the draft from the vents. The original idea was to attach flex hose like you use for the dryer and have a fan pull air from the reflector, I may still do it like that.[/quote']

nice idea, do you have pictures of what it looks like when done?

When I expand my anemone prop system, I may look into doing something like this for lights. Looks easy and cheap. :) Two words that I love.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...