new fish qt

bbatman99

I recommend buying a cheap 10 gallon tank to use as a quarantine tank. New fish are continually being introduced to dealers tanks, and there are usually other fish in the tank, so it really isn't going though a quarantine period.

Unless, of course you have found a LFS that will quarantine a fish in a tank by itself for you. Maybe that could be a new service for a LFS to start!

A QT tank is very easy and simple to set up. Mine is a 10gal tank, a heater, and a hang-on-back filter. I don't have any filter media - just use it for water movement.

As Michael mentioned, stick something in the tank that the fish can use as shelter. They will stress if they are completely in the open. I used to put coffee cups in the tank... but the wife decided that her coffee cups were no longer to be used in my fish tank...(wife)

I don't even have a seperate light. Fish don't really need it. I just position the QT tank to get indirect light from the display tank. Keep an eye on the classified section, you should be able to set the whole thing up for $20-$20 bucks. It's well worth the investment.

As mentioned, leaving the fish at the LFS does nothing to QT, since they are still being introduced to anything in their tanks. Keep in mind that with new wild caught fish coming in constantly to the LFS, they are constantly exposed to things - no fault of the LFS, just part of nature.

After two cases of Marine Velvet wiping out most my tank both from not properly qting fish, I have learned my lesson.

If you do some research people will say qt from 2 -8 weeks. The longer the better it would seem. i do about a month now.

Depending on the fish your putting in there, I would do something a bit bigger then a 10 gal. I use a 29 gal that I picked up used for 25 bucks.

look around and find something used, but I would go with at least a 20 gal. Tangs and such need some room.

A QT tank is very easy and simple to set up. Mine is a 10gal tank, a heater, and a hang-on-back filter. I don't have any filter media - just use it for water movement.

As Michael mentioned, stick something in the tank that the fish can use as shelter. They will stress if they are completely in the open. I used to put coffee cups in the tank... but the wife decided that her coffee cups were no longer to be used in my fish tank...(wife)

I don't even have a seperate light. Fish don't really need it. I just position the QT tank to get indirect light from the display tank. Keep an eye on the classified section, you should be able to set the whole thing up for $20-$20 bucks. It's well worth the investment.

As mentioned, leaving the fish at the LFS does nothing to QT, since they are still being introduced to anything in their tanks. Keep in mind that with new wild caught fish coming in constantly to the LFS, they are constantly exposed to things - no fault of the LFS, just part of nature.

Jason - I like the coffee cup idea. You can pick some up at the Thrift Store for $1 each! Be sure to keep ammonia in check with testing and water changes. Some people use SeaChem NH3/NH4 Monitors. http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/AmmoniaAlert.html

Here are some links that should be helpful. There are other quarantine links at the top of the wetwebmedia pages.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/QuarMarFishes.htm

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/quarinvertfaqs.htm

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_quarantine.php