Mantis shrimp trap

Jay

Yep I still have this guy in my tank. I am looking at this trap. Have any of you used it? Does anyone have one I could borrow? The price is right I may just buy it....sad is I will only probably use it one time.

http://www.aquariumguys.com/xterminator-mantis-shrimp-trap.html

This shrimp is about 3.5 inches long and will be for sale when I catch him. Try to offset the price of the trap this way : )

Jay

You better hurry before it get's any bigger!!!! Got Butter:D

Yea I know that sucher is big. Its colorful and very very sly. It is ultra careful when he moves about the tank. Peering around corners then darting so you only get a hint of what he looks like. Sucker.....I want him gone. He was useing the same hole all the time and I had the chance to remove the rock but he moved before I got him. Now he stays deep in the reef where I cant see his hole.

Jay

Blain,

I am not sure that a fish hook would work that well on an invertibrate unless it was just to snag it. Fish hooks work on fish because they have an upper and lower mandibal to bight down with plus have soft vascular tissue that the hook is able to puncture and get caught around. You could give it a shot but I doubt it would work. A trap is probably your best bet. I saw a youtube video of this guy catching on using a net once. What he did was take some wedding veil and burry it just under the sand in front of where the mantis would hide. A fish line was attached to each end of the net and then join up at the top out of the tank. Then he baited the mantis out using a couple of hermits he toss right on the sand that the net was hiding under. once the mantis went for the first hermit he pulled on the fishing line and the mantis was caught. It looked like he had done this before as it went so smooth. I figured that the mantis would slither out of one of the corners or something but he didn't until in his bucket. I will look for the video to see if I can post it.

Garrett

Blain,

I am not sure that a fish hook would work that well on an invertibrate unless it was just to snag it. Fish hooks work on fish because they have an upper and lower mandibal to bight down with plus have soft vascular tissue that the hook is able to puncture and get caught around. You could give it a shot but I doubt it would work. A trap is probably your best bet. I saw a youtube video of this guy catching on using a net once. What he did was take some wedding veil and burry it just under the sand in front of where the mantis would hide. A fish line was attached to each end of the net and then join up at the top out of the tank. Then he baited the mantis out using a couple of hermits he toss right on the sand that the net was hiding under. once the mantis went for the first hermit he pulled on the fishing line and the mantis was caught. It looked like he had done this before as it went so smooth. I figured that the mantis would slither out of one of the corners or something but he didn't until in his bucket. I will look for the video to see if I can post it.

Garrett

Your funny NEVER underestimate a fisherman. I have caught more crabs with a wad of fishing line bait and a pole than with traps(clap) My best day Salmo n fishing was 22 caught, landed, and released on the trask. Best trought was 58 on the Sanitan river. All released. I should have explained it a little better to him.(whistle)