anybody use ocean pure salt?

jason7504

Big thread on RC about how inconsistent this salt is. Waves stopped carrying it because of that.

I used it when I started my tank, and used about 2-3 buckets of it (150g each). I didn't seem to have a problem, but I could have had OK buckets.

Now I use Kent.

dsoz

dsoz' date=' what do you think about mixing salts? I have been thinking about doing this so I can get the best of 2 or 3 salts?[/quote']

I have no oppinion about it because I don't do it.

To me, salt is salt. Either it has what it needs, or it does not. If it does not, is there some way I can add it in? If there is, then I do.

To me it defeats the purpose of having a salt that is good for something, then mixing it with a salt that is bad at that thing. JMO

dsoz

I've used just about every salt on the market and they have all had "bad batches"

Right now I'm on Kent salt. 2 months ago I was using Oceanpure and had no problems with it.

I will use any salt that mixes clear in 30-60 minutes. If it doesn't mix clear by then it is possibly a bad batch, and I test CA/Alk.

Here's a tip: If you're using 160-200g buckets of salt, mix the salt well before adding it to your water. Roll the bucket back and forth a few times, as well as flip it over a few times to mix it good. If you're using bags of salt, just shake them well before mixing smaller quantities.

Tropic Marin Pro Reef all the way. Even just the regular salt is good. I do not dose....at all' date=' and me levels are always good as far as CA and such are concerned.[/quote']

i used them at first but there more expensive and it has lower alk cuz its made for ca reactors and stuff

I've used just about every salt on the market and they have all had "bad batches"

Right now I'm on Kent salt. 2 months ago I was using Oceanpure and had no problems with it.

I will use any salt that mixes clear in 30-60 minutes. If it doesn't mix clear by then it is possibly a bad batch, and I test CA/Alk.

Here's a tip: If you're using 160-200g buckets of salt, mix the salt well before adding it to your water. Roll the bucket back and forth a few times, as well as flip it over a few times to mix it good. If you're using bags of salt, just shake them well before mixing smaller quantities.

my seachem reef salt did mix clear in 30 mins but i think it might of been a bad batch

I just mixed a batch of salt with Seachem and the calium was 425' date=' the mag was 1400, and the KH was 9. Can't get much better than that[/quote']

yeah thats why i got seachem i heard it had high levels of ca, alk and mg..but when i tested mine it had low mg..maybe i got a bad batch