Anyone ever deal with Al G Blenny on RC?

JasonH

Matt Hopper - he runs (or ran?) a site called Reefready.net. The guys was a staple on RC - one of the Northern Cal reef clique. I got almost all of my corals from him. He sold my Tubs Superman Monti on his site. I'd send him 10 or 15 frags at a time and he'd just send me a box of random corals in return. He was always great to deal with and had most of the LE corals - most of them straight from the source.

Anyway, apparently he ripped a bunch of folks off in deals on RC and got "moved on" from there. I'm shocked.

I was just curious if anyone else knew/knew of him or had dealt with him. I guess it's not like I really knew the guy, but it still seems very weird that someone I dealt with often ended up in such a bad spot.

I boght several high end corals from him a couple of years back, but have had no interactions with him recently... always found him to be an upstanding guy. Thought he had gotten out of the hobby a while ago.

• 4 weeks later...

matt hopper

yep, he ripped me off personally,

i signed up with reef central about a 3 months ago and purchased a 48" finnex 250 hqi fixture. he advertised it was nice and a single wire needed repair for the t-5's to work. a good picture was posted..... i paid him...... what i got? a completely non functioning unit. NONE of it worked and could have never worked when sent. the wires and switches were melted fans corroded and it sits in my garage collecting dust. since then i have been weary of any boards, this dude had a good rep..... actually a fantastic rep on r.c. got me for about 3 bills. i still have the actual reefready labels from the box, his cell number and multiple addresses. im saving it, next time i visit my family in the bay ima stop in since he is avoiding me...... wanna see it? there is a whole slew of individuals that he ripped on his final sale post.... look in seller feedback on r.c. not purchased off ebay and he closed his paypal,....... i was told, sorry sir. what a joke.

my first ever purchase off any boards and i got ripped by a respected seller.... this is my first actual reply on this board to by the way.... watch out for this cat. definitely on his way out.....

Yeah, seems like he sold a few people some bad hardware - or the same hardware. Seems like it was all of a sudden, and several people got ripped off within a couple days - then he got in trouble and "moved on" from RC.

I'm guessing that he got himself into some financial trouble in the bad economy and leveraged his good rep to cheat some people before getting out.

Sad, because he really had a great rep, a good business, and great corals. But in a community like that, everyone knows about something like this and he's washed up now - won't be able to come back under a different name.

It's interesting because right before this happened he asked me for a shipment of Superman Monti (I was his "breeder" for superman) and I told him I didn't have any frags ready. I never heard back from him, and then a few weeks later I read about this whole thing.

So, I'm guessing I just missed being ripped off for those corals - I generally sent him 10 or 15 at a time.

Interesting... that site is still up BTW - looks like you can pick up a Clarion Angel for $2,000 if you are willing to take a chance! The last "news" item was posted about a year ago though. Unfortunate that it seems to have played out this way.

Yeah, seems like he sold a few people some bad hardware - of the same hardware. Seems like it was all of a sudden, and several people got ripped off within a couple days - then he got in trouble and "moved on" from RC.

I'm guessing that he got himself into some financial trouble in the bad economy and leveraged his good rep to cheat some people before getting out.

Sad, because he really had a great rep, a good business, and great corals. But in a community like that, everyone knows about something like this and he's washed up now - won't be able to come back under a different name.

It's interesting because right before this happened he asked me for a shipment of Superman Monti (I was his "breeder" for superman) and I told him I didn't have any frags ready. I never heard back from him, and then a few weeks later I read about this whole thing.

So, I'm guessing I just missed being ripped off for those corals - I generally sent him 10 or 15 at a time.

That was a close call. We just had the same thing happen on e-bay with a cell phone. Guy had great rating with 6-700 great feedbacks. when we ordered our phone he took the money and never sent out anything. He did it to a lot of people. He is kicked off now.

Tuff times will make people do bad things.