question about R/O units

Look into Kati / Ani units. There a seperated DI bed water purifying. There is zero water loss except for regeneration of the units. I used to have the size 5 unit which would generate approximately 500 gallons between regeneration. That was with 300 to 400 TDS water. Around this area I would guess you would get almost double that.

These units came from Germany and I worked with a guy that was importing them to create instructions for them in english. Here is a copy so that you can see what it takes to maintain them.

http://www.allensaquariums.com/AquaTechnic%20Kati%20Ani%20Instructions.pdf

In my opinion, if you are doing any large amount of water, these are a the ticket.

Zero waste uses a pump to boost the waste water back into the hot water side. Its not that bad in price. Ill get a retail price and let you know. You should be able to find them from someone that sells systems.

As far as waste, its 3-1. 3 gallons down the drain, 1 gallon made. If yours is doing 9-1 or whatever its junk or not working correctly. There is no reason it should be doing that.

This is one of the units we sell, comes as a zero waste system.

http://www.watts.com/pro/_productsFull.asp?catId=2242&parCat=2269&pid=5595&ref=2

Anyhow hopefully I dont get yelled at, didnt want to come across trying to sell stuff. I see these posts here quite a bit but usually just stay quiet. Jody (Reefboy) can help you or get you the stuff from me. :)

Do you know if the parts are readily available to do this as an add-on to an existing RO/DI? I am guessing some sort of pump and reservoir hooked to the waste line and plumbed back into the hot water line with a check valve of some sort. Intrigued by the possibilities here!

Thanks for the info everybody!

Look into Kati / Ani units. There a seperated DI bed water purifying. There is zero water loss except for regeneration of the units. I used to have the size 5 unit which would generate approximately 500 gallons between regeneration. That was with 300 to 400 TDS water. Around this area I would guess you would get almost double that.

These units came from Germany and I worked with a guy that was importing them to create instructions for them in english. Here is a copy so that you can see what it takes to maintain them.

http://www.allensaquariums.com/AquaTechnic%20Kati%20Ani%20Instructions.pdf

In my opinion, if you are doing any large amount of water, these are a the ticket.

That's pretty sweet. If you were runnning 300-400 TDS, I think I could get more than double that with my 35 TDS supply :) What does one of the smaller units go for?

That's pretty sweet. If you were runnning 300-400 TDS' date=' I think I could get more than double that with my 35 TDS supply :) What does one of the smaller units go for?[/quote']

If his incoming is 300-400 and yours is 35 thats more like 10X the life.

As for the other question, yes they make a retrofit kit of the zero waste that can be added to an R/O system without.

If your really serious about the waste water issue read the information and the new unit that spectrapure has out. NO it's not cheep. It is state of the art though. I had a long talk with tec support about the unit. It has a micro processor in it. Membrane flushing system that flushes wi ro water' date=' not tap water as the other flush systems do. If for no other reason at least read about it to understand how it works. To bring things up to speed with the new technology.[url']http://www.spectrapure.com/low_waste_systems.htm[/url]

Thats not really new tech, maybe in residential setups, but permate flush has been around a long time. Kinetico has used a setup similar to that with no electronics that would put R/O water against the membrane to extend the life and have slightly lower TDS out of the membrane. I have one under my sink at home that is 15 yrs old now and still produces 3ppm TDS water, still on the orig membrane.

Be careful with the TDS to production ratio. It isn't necessarily a 1:1. All I could say is it would be drastically better with 35 TDS, but I would not say 10x.

If his incoming is 300-400 and yours is 35 thats more like 10X the life.

As for the other question, yes they make a retrofit kit of the zero waste that can be added to an R/O system without.