Chalice Help!

grassi

Saturday I came home with my first Chalice.. actually 3 tiny frags, two from Seahorse and one from Frank. The bigger one is ok, but the two tiny ones aren't looking so hot. Both are receding and showing their skeleton, one is already down to 1/3 size.

All my parameters are great and everything else in my tank is thriving. Only thing I can think of is when I was feeding tonight, my very large bristle worm was hanging out behind the plugs of the two that are looking bad.. could he be snacking on them?

Any help is appreciated!!!!(sad)

how long ago were they fragged? in my experience is they are extremely fragile till all the outer flesh is bubbled up and healed . if its fresh cut and was moved into a new home i could see it reseeding a lot and possibly not make it depending on the size. but thats just my experience. unless its a large decent size frag and the flesh is thick and edge is bubbley then i dont know what happend. but the smaller the frag and if it had less flesh to begin with and its been moved within a week or so of being cut the survival rate drops.some are more fragile than others ive cut chalices and had them healed in less tha a week. i have also cut chalice and had them take over a month to heal.

i also have a chalices that needs to be at the top of my tank like 4 inches from 2 175 watt halides for it to be green. anywhere else its brown. then i have some that will brown at the top and turn green and purple in low light.i would start low for a few months and then try differnt areas depending on color from there. also my personal recommendation to try and revive it would be like 3 drops phyto some rotifiers and brine all in a cup or small container the chalice will fit in. then in he middle of the nigh snag it out of the water and place it in the bowl and float it for 30 mins so the temp does not drop.its worked for me with a chalice some trupet corals and almost non existent sun coral.

good luck.

and make sure it is not in a spot a goby or a powerhead is going to get sand on it. its in a real fragile state right now many little things can send it speeding off in the wrong direction right now.

You have a 70w light. What kinda light did they come from?

Lower light in a 400w tank would mean high light in a 70w tank.

That's true, I'm going to assume that the other lights were at least 250. I've had them up top about 10 inches below the light all day.. we'll see if that helps. This also puts them away from the giant bristle worm's new hangout so fixes that if that was the problem (it's about a foot long!)

I'm worried though... My husband found a thread on RC where a bunch of people had a similar problem and had to treat their tanks with Interceptor which worked. I just hope I don't have to go that route.

I know one was fragged a year ago.. not quite sure about the other two.. seemed well healed? We're going to check the tank tonight if we can wake up and look for the worm. Problem is, he's way too big for the traps you can buy and each time we try to get him he learns from it and doesn't fall for the same trap twice... hate that guy

I use a jar that capers came in for my trap. Its like 1" in diameter and 4" long. I stuck some gutterguard around the top and zip tied it on like a cap. Makes a great trap.

Good to hear the chalices are looking better. How about some pics?