Montipora Eating Nudibranchs

USCG CWO

I wasn't sure if I should post here or in the emergency forum, but I don't know if it is an emergency yet. Are these what I think they are? (scary) I have read that monti eating nudis are typically white. These are red with black stripes from the looks of them. Here's some pics.

Hard to see but it is just above and to the left of the big red spot. Looks like horns on his back.

P4020102.jpg[/img]

Bottom Center to the right.

P4020114.jpg[/img]

Sorry for the crappy photos, but it was with a flash light and my underwater Olympus 1030SW at 0600 this morning. I saw at least two.

Shane

Okay I have pulled four out of the tank. (censored) We don't have a QT for the office tank. In the interim will our 6 line wrasse eat the ones we are not seeing? I am checking into the iodine dip, TMPCC and other treatments.

Thanks

Shane

Dang sorry to see that. You definately will need to QT for at least 8 weeks to get rid of those nasties. They are very tough to see since they take on the color of the zoa they are eating. I simple 5gal/10gal tank, heater, powerhead and some sort of light. Luckily zoas don't require intense light, so some sort of fluorescent lighting will do.

To treat i would do 15min dips weekly and 100% WCs in the QT, wiping down the tank and anything in it with hot hot water each time you do a WC. Dip in RO water brought to temp and pH, and TMPCC dosed at 2X strength or higher. 4 weekly dips, then 4 weeks of QT for observation.

Good luck Shane!! May the force be with you!!(drinking)

Good luck Shane!! May the force be with you!!

Thanks for the for the directions. I wasn't sure on how to go about killing these things.

Mike right now is measuring out the amount of space we have left to see if we can make a small QT from acrylic scrap. We will set that up inside the cabinet to recieve residual lighting from the main tank, and then we will proceed from there.

Until then, does anybody know if they only eat zoas, or minus those do they turn to other softies?

Thanks

Shane

Another way to get rid of them is to do FW dips. I had them in my sons tank when I first got back into it. Dipped in FW once a day for about a week and never saw them again. Might have just been lucky but who knows.

Good luck shane and if needed I have a 10 gallon QT tank you can borrow. It is set up with everything except a light.