New Guy Here

COReefer

hey everyone. I'm new to the pnwmas site but not to the hobby. I have lurked on your forums for some time now though. My name is daniel and I live in redmond. I started in the hobby 5 years ago with a saltwater kit from petco. I soon found that this equipment was sub par so I junked everything but the 55 gallon tank that the kit came with.(well I kept the thermometer too) I soon purchased a seaclone protein skimmer. (that was another booboo) I soon trashed that and bought a coralife super skimmer. (wanted the biggest I could find for a hang on app. I have since done a ton of research and really got into this great hobby and finally have what I consider my dream tank. This tank was a consolidation of my 55 gallon softie tank, 50 gallon sps tank and my 90 gallon FOWLR tank.

tank: 150 gallon. 60 x 24 x 24

Lighting: 2 x 400 se mh and 2 x 96 watt actinic

Filtration:2 25 gallon sumps tied together with 2 1inch pvc's

skimmer: coralife SS125 and cusom skimmer from advance plastics

heater: via aqua titanium

LR 125lbs

Corals:mixed reef quickly moving toward sps dominant.

Lifereef Calcium Reactor

Auto Top Off: electric float switch

100_4177-1.jpg

100_4241.jpg

100_4238.jpg

WELCOME NEW TOAD:) Looks nice and happy. Would like to see more pictures when you have the chance. Especially on the lower left side. Welcome Aboard

Did that patch of blue catch your eye as well Blaine? I was wondering what that was myself (scratch). Almost looks like a sponge of some sort but my eye's (and monitor) aren't what they used to be. Great color whatever it is!

WOW thank you guys for the warm welcome. That blue patch in the lower left corner is my blue sponge. I have had it for about a year now. I had a tank crash in my 55 gallon (cucumber vs. powerhead) and had to do emergency change. I exposed the sponge to air for about 10-15 minutes along with all of my other corals and it killed about 75 percent of that colony.

WOW thank you guys for the warm welcome. That blue patch in the lower left corner is my blue sponge. I have had it for about a year now. I had a tank crash in my 55 gallon (cucumber vs. powerhead) and had to do emergency change. I exposed the sponge to air for about 10-15 minutes along with all of my other corals and it killed about 75 percent of that colony.

Thanks for the ID! That has awesome color... I would love to find one like it some day. Sorry to hear about the tank crash and losses. Hopefully everything is rebounding well. I bet I know who lost in cucumber vs. powerhead...

Hello and Welcome to the forums. Glad you are no longer lurking!!! Nice picture of your tank! If you have anymore questions ask away!

I love asking as much as I like answering. Even being in the hobby for a few years, there's still so much to learn. I look forward to being a member here and playing on this forum.

Thanks for the ID! That has awesome color... I would love to find one like it some day. Sorry to hear about the tank crash and losses. Hopefully everything is rebounding well. I bet I know who lost in cucumber vs. powerhead...

I wish I had enough to pass around and hopefully someday I will. I called cuc vs. powerhead a draw because even though the cuc died, 100 percent of my fish went with it. Lucky enough I had about 55 gallons of warm water mixed.

You should become a payed member and attend the Marine Hatfield Science Center/ Oregon Coast aquarium behind the scenes tour!! It is very worth it!!!!! Besides were having a BBQ afterwards! Being a payed member gets you discounts to these special events!!!! Lots of great events coming up.