Any thoughts Seperating mushrooms

fakkzz

I've got a million questions so sorry!

After getting my tank back one of the few corals alive was the mushrooms. They were small and kinda shrively all on one rock that also has zooz but they looked more like little mushy balls as well. So now that the tank is in good health and the water is not too salty (was over 1.3!!!!) the mushrooms and zoos are opening up but there are 30 plus mushrooms on this rock about the size of a volleyball. THe zoos are not happy cause they are covered up when all of these muchrooms swell. I have never cut or fragged any of the corals when I had the tank before. I just let everyone grow HUGE!

I have no clue how to give these guys more room and am wondering if anyone has a suggestion? It would be too hard to break the rock. Is there a way to get them to move on their own?

My pictures are awful so they might not help....

This rock also has aiptasia. I have got rid of alot of it in the tank except a few critical areas.

post-5740-141867774996_thumb.jpg

post-5740-1418677750_thumb.jpg

post-5740-141867775006_thumb.jpg

post-5740-14186777501_thumb.jpg

post-5740-141867775014_thumb.jpg

Use a chisel to scrape them off the rock. Make sure to dig a little bit below the surface of the rock to remove a layer of rock dust/chunks with the coral. Use superglue gel to glue the pieces of rock to another rock. It works like a charm.

If you need more detail, just ask. :)

dsoz

• Like 1

Another lump of dumb questions here.... Do you do this in a tub of the tank water?

or dry?

Will just any super glue gel work or is there a particular one?

Does it work with water? Seems like superglue gets hot in water or something along those lines?

Do you have to do anything special before putting newly glued pieces back into the tank?

THANK YOU!!!!

I have to agree with Dennis (Dsoz) on this one. I have even 'chisled' off a few hairy mushrooms off while my rocks stayed in the tak :) Like it was said - make sure you get some of the rock off when you do and then you can place them wherever or trade them.

You can do the same with the zoas but beware - those zoas are very nasty little critters - wear gloves and eyewear so you don't have to tangle with any poison from them (called palytoxin)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palytoxin

• Like 1

Great palytoxin! That sounds wonderful :) There's a first time for everything... lets hope the first time ends up actually being moving mushrooms and not experimenting with palytoxin !!! thank you for that cause I would have had NO CLUE!

Yes, do it dry, or wet in a tub of water, or in the tank. It does not matter.

Any superglue will work, the gel kind is better. I get three tubes of it for a $1 at the dollar tree store. dab the coral dry on a paper towel before adding a drop of glue to the rock dust. then put the glue on another rock. It is possible to attach it to a rock inside the tank, but it is easier to do outside the tank. Just get in there and do some, you will find a good technique that works for you. Like I said, if you want help, there are many people here that are willing to show you how to do it. Search on youtube for videos on fragging mushroom corals, or fragging corals. A video is worth 1000 words.

You can even cut the mushroom in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 (like slices of pizza) and glue them all. They will all grow into small corals, then get bigger from there. Easy way to get more mushrooms.

dsoz

That is so crazy! I'm amazed that you can cut these guys like that. I am absolutely fascinated by the cutting the RBTA's on here. I've just never "reefed" like that though. I'm going to have so many mushrooms if I can get this to work though!!! WOW!!!

That is so crazy! I'm amazed that you can cut these guys like that. I am absolutely fascinated by the cutting the RBTA's on here. I've just never "reefed" like that though. I'm going to have so many mushrooms if I can get this to work though!!! WOW!!!

Let me know if you would like help fragging - I an in Aloha / Beaverton as well!