Epic Propagation System...Well Compactly Epic!

ThePremiumAquarium

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I broke one of the more dense rocks but could have probably avoided that if I took a bit more care. That being said, I would definatley have a few pieces of similar size and look around so that you can redrill if you break one. Also I would have a bucket of clean tank water and a tooth brush so that you can rinse and scrub off the gunk created from drilling. Expect to get a bit dirty and probably make a bit of a mess. (laugh)

• 3 weeks later...

Here are a couple of update pics. I added my old 90g tank into the system so that I could have a sort of mini display. Its kind of my dad and friends idea. I personally wanted to wait until I could set up a larger display, but this will have to do for now. Its still really young, so forgive the lack of cool corals and colorful sticks branching out all over. Soon enough I will not even be able to fit my arm in for cleaning. Also snapped a shot of one of the frag tanks. I have opted to remove most of the smaller tanks and go with a few larger ones. I am just not keeping as many unique inverts and fish as I thought I might do and really just got the coral bug back hardcore. Much more fun to grow corals than look at mostly empty tanks with a few species. That and the 10g tanks kept breaking! Enough with those little fragile tanks. Time for the big boys.

All together there is about 400g to the system now.

These pics are kinda bad but they give you an ok idea.

The 90g

IMG_0154.jpg

some euphylia:

IMG_0166.jpg

One of the 2 multi softie rocks:

IMG_0165.jpg

One of the frag tanks:

IMG_0159.jpg

Garrett

Garrett it's really looking good. I love how many bends that one piece of pvc going into your frag tank has, you should have gone for a few more 90's. (laugh) Really though, the rockwork is great...as always inspiring.

thanks for the advise. Im not really suppose to have an aquarium in my apartment so I try to do as little as I can outside. Most of my rocks are dense so if I try it I guess I will just have to see what happens.

We told our new landlord we were bringing a fish tank or two, and she had no problems with it. She said there was even a nice little spot on the kitchen counter if we wanted to put it there...(nutty) We didn't mention it was a 200g and a 72g...

But she has seen both and is fine with it afterall.

LOL not joke on the PVC. I think it is some adaptation of a nitrate factory. More oxygenated surface area = more nitrates= more food for algaes! I can't keep up with the nutrient export of these algaes! I literally have to add fish just so they will polute my water.

Garrett

Garrett it's really looking good. I love how many bends that one piece of pvc going into your frag tank has, you should have gone for a few more 90's. (laugh) Really though, the rockwork is great...as always inspiring.

We told our new landlord we were bringing a fish tank or two, and she had no problems with it. She said there was even a nice little spot on the kitchen counter if we wanted to put it there...(nutty) We didn't mention it was a 200g and a 72g...

But she has seen both and is fine with it afterall.

• 3 weeks later...

So after a few scares with 10g glass tanks breaking coupled with the desire for some crazy flow and larger tanks(tired of limited per tank space and such) I went ahead and spent my future childrens, future inheritance :D(whistle)(clap)

All of the glass tanks have been removed and replaced with 1/2" thick acrylic, rimless tanks. I still have the ability to seperate species of various critters because each tank has several removable dividers. This covers what the 10g tanks were originally put in for as well as covers my new desire of larger tanks for more flow, etc. The tanks were used in a Danio research lab down at U of O and are in near perfect shape with the exception of a couple of lables and small plastic stick on hanging hooks for charts and such. I will be removing those shortly.

Everything is doing really really well. Some of my corals are finally coloring back up from a run in with some cheap and equally bad ebay bulbs. I am please with everythings growth rate and color with the more expensive Ushio 20K's and XM 20K's.

Here are some update shots of the prop system and the garage display tank:

DSC_0078.jpg

DSC_0063.jpg

DSC_0086-1.jpg

DSC_0084-2.jpg

DSC_0081-1.jpg

DSC_0080-2.jpg

DSC_0082.jpg

DSC_0020-3.jpg

DSC_0008-3.jpg

I am going to pick up a few more fish for the tanks as soon as I can. I need some extra fish poo for the algaes! I don't wont to stunt their growth.

Garrett

Thanks guys! Yah things are doing pretty well with the setup. I like it now better than ever and can only imagine how much I will like it as time goes on.

Small update:

I added about 40 or so various colored damsels and 20 or so blue/green chromis. I am sure about a third to half will end up kicking the bucket before the 3 month mark but they look pretty sweet in the system. Also got a really nice purple tang that I will be adding to the display once I make sure it does well in quarantine. Added another 150lbs of rock to the mix aswell(thanks Brandon for the majority of it!).

Garrett

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...