Ernie Kent out as Oregon bball coach?

impur

My boss said he got a call today from one of his buddies. He was up in Portland attending a meeting of high level donors. The subject - Ernie Kent. Word is there were a couple people there speaking for Uncle Phil and EK will be shown the door.

I'm on the fence on this. On one side, EK has been to 2 elite 8s, 5 tourney appearances, a pac10 title, a pac10 tourney title and has sent as many guys to the NBA as UCLA. He graduates over 90% of his players and his players are always model citizens. He has one of the top recruits in the country committing, Jamil Wilson, as well as a local kid in EJ Singler.

On the other side no coach in their 12th year at the same school should ever have a 8-23 year, ever. Especially one who was in the tourney the year before. His players quit on him the last few games of the year and showed no marked improvement throughout the year. He is constantly in arguments with TP, and his offense is worthless without an elite PG.

I don't know who they are going to go after, probably Mark Few and/or Tubby Smith. We can kiss Jamil Wilson goodbye, and probably EJ Singler as well plus whoever decides to transfer. But hey, you gotta fill the new stadium and Ernie can't even sell out Mac Court this year.

I am with you on this. I think a lot of schools would still be happy with there coach if he had taken the team to the elite 8 two times in the last 8 years. This year the team was young but that doesnt exuse them giving up. Heads

Better watch out for the Beavers, coach has some pull now because of his brother inlaw.

I believe EK is a good coach, but there comes a point when every team needs a change and now is that time.

I think they will go after Few or Smith after their seasons are over. Either coach will have the pull to get good athletes and have enough 'moxy' to help fill a new arena, just on excitement alone.

Few has taken Gonzaga to the sweet 16 and farther several times.

Smith has a real good history and he just turn Minnesota around.

The biggest hurdles will be what are the buy-outs to get these coaches away from the schools thay are at now.

I think the whole Kent this is kind of a risky situation. They need to be able to bring in a good coach to replace him. If they dont they will fall so far down in the recruiting trail it will take awhile to rebuild.

Who have the Ucks sent to the NBA that is starting or even a key player besides Brooks??? Im sorry but UCLA has 100 more players in the NBA than the Ucks.

Hopefully the Beavs continue to rise with a Top 20 recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully Robinson stays true to what he says and doesnt take on a "bigger" program. GO BEAVS!!!!

I think the whole Kent this is kind of a risky situation. They need to be able to bring in a good coach to replace him. If they dont they will fall so far down in the recruiting trail it will take awhile to rebuild.

Hopefully the Beavs continue to rise with a Top 20 recruiting class coming in next year. Hopefully Robinson stays true to what he says and doesnt take on a "bigger" program. GO BEAVS!!!!

That's why I believe Few or Smith are the only ones they should/will go after. Both have a good recruiting history.

I think if Robinson continues to have the success he is having now.... it is only a matter of the right school with a big checkbook and he will leave OSU.

100 more players? Show me.

I'll go first i guess:

Baron Davis - Los Angeles Clippers

Jason Kapono - Toronto Raptors

Kevin Love - Minnesota Timberwolves

Arron Afflalo - Detroit Pistons

Russell Westbrook - Oklahoma City Thunder

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute - Milwaukee Bucks

Earl Watson - Oklahoma City Thunder

Trevor Ariza - Los Angeles Lakers

Jordan Farmar - Los Angeles Lakers

Matt Barnes - Phoenix Suns

Jelani McCoy - Los Angeles Clippers

Dan Gadzuric - Milwaukee Bucks

Ryan Hollins - Charlotte Bobcats

Hardly 100. And what, 2 or 3 of them start.

Might be an announcement today

http://ducksattack.com/?p=359

this shows PK wants a top ter coach to go along with the most expensive basketball arena ever built for a college... they will attract someone big in the next 2 years with his money in their pocket. I foresee an interim coach for a bit, with a championship caliber coach in by the time knight arena opens

100 more players? Show me.

I'll go first i guess:

Baron Davis - Los Angeles Clippers

Jason Kapono - Toronto Raptors

Kevin Love - Minnesota Timberwolves

Arron Afflalo - Detroit Pistons

Russell Westbrook - Oklahoma City Thunder

Luc Richard Mbah a Moute - Milwaukee Bucks

Earl Watson - Oklahoma City Thunder

Trevor Ariza - Los Angeles Lakers

Jordan Farmar - Los Angeles Lakers

Matt Barnes - Phoenix Suns

Jelani McCoy - Los Angeles Clippers

Dan Gadzuric - Milwaukee Bucks

Ryan Hollins - Charlotte Bobcats

Hardly 100. And what, 2 or 3 of them start.

Might be an announcement today

http://ducksattack.com/?p=359

I was obviously exagerrating. UCLA always has and always will send premier players to the NBA. But thats besides the fact.

All that really matters is that its a good day to be a Beaver!! GO BEAVS!!!!!!!!

8th out of 10 is good for the Beavers, so yes, congrats. I agree previous posts that the first decent offer their coach gets to a semi-established program and he will be out. Cant blame him.

As for Ernie, he has run his course here. He has been fine, off and on for a few years, and never quite got the potential out of the talent he has gotten. Knight and Co will want someone big to come in to the new arena, and I think U of O has enough to offer to a big name coach that they could land a Few-type guy. Also heard a couple of years back that Few has a 'dream' clause in his contract that basically states that he cant leave for another school, unless that school happens to be any 2 of his choosing. You know who he chose? Duke and U of O. He would be great for the Ducks. I feel he has grown Gonzaga as much as he can, (which is remarkable looking at where they were before him) and it is time for him to get into a bigger market.

I think they should let him go, it's time for a change. New stadium new coach. Having a good coach will bring the superstars you need to have a winning record. I'm from Indiana moved here in 1998. Indiana is all about having good baketball programs and coaches, that is what I'm used to. Teams like Indiana, Butler, ND, Purdue and Indiana State are just a few to mention. Although Indiana University has been having a couple of bad years. But they always have good coaches there. I'm a huge basketball fan of the NCAA and NBA. I still watch any Indiana baskeball game I can, Go Purdue!!! I'm more an Indiana Hoosier fan, go IU! I think they should try to get Bobby Knight there for a couple of years. If you can't get him you should get someone with good credentials. Good luck U of O. Go Ducks!!!

Looks like EK stays, Mark Hudson's contract will not be renewed, and Mike Dunlap will be hired as assiciate head coach. Pretty good move IMO, Dunlap is one of the best assistant coaches in the country. He is a great X & O's guy, and definately developes talent. Both things EK lacks.

Looks like EK stays' date=' Mark Hudson's contract will not be renewed, and Mike Dunlap will be hired as assiciate head coach. Pretty good move IMO, Dunlap is one of the best assistant coaches in the country. He is a great X & O's guy, and definately developes talent. Both things EK lacks.[/quote']

I hope so!!!

Can he recruit a big guy?

Looks like EK stays' date=' Mark Hudson's contract will not be renewed, and Mike Dunlap will be hired as assiciate head coach. Pretty good move IMO, Dunlap is one of the best assistant coaches in the country. He is a great X & O's guy, and definately developes talent. Both things EK lacks.[/quote']

Yeah - I had a chance to read up on this a bit today and it sounds like a pretty good move. UO gets to hold onto some of it's better recruits that were threatening to bail if EK left and they (hopefully) get some help from a top coaching talent in areas of weakness. Could work out well for them.