hang on the back skimmers!

Ron Popeil

anyone using a particularly effective HOB skimmer? im currently running a remora on a 30 gallon cube and thought id be more happier with it. turns out im not and after doing some research it looks as if there are some half way decent nano skimmers out there.

the names that popped up is, again, the octopus HOB skimmers and eshopps HOB skimmers. they seem to have my attention for the moment.

im looking for something unintrusive, not noisy and with as few microbubbles as possible. what are some of you folks using?

I have an octopus bh-100f on my 29g. I'm happy with it. Very little microbubbles after break-in, fairly quiet, and skims well. The pump is internal and it has an extra chamber that has enough room to keep the heater in. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

Although I don't have any first-hand experience with them, I hear the deltec are 2nd to none for hob, but they cost alot more than others.

it is soaking right now to get off all the old coraline and salt buildup, but you can find the specs with a quick search for mce600. if you are any good at acrylic work, it would be a heck of a steal. I can bring it by some time and you can check it out if you dont find something else.

assuming you do the acrylic, it is priced at about 40% of retail.

Whats your price range Jordan??

There are a lot of really good HOB skimmers now. Some names are ATB, Warner, Octopus (with a little tweaking) and Bermuda. It really depends on budget. Then there is the always dependable used Deltec and Tunze skimmers that can be had on the cheap.