How/what do I feed this?

steelhead77

I got this Lobophyllia last weekend and put it in what I thought was a prime position on the sand. However, now it seems to be bleaching out at quite a rapid rate, so I moved it to a more open spot. I understand that it feeds primarily through photosynthesis but can be fed other foods. I have tried target feeding it mysis and very small pieces of silversides but it does not seem to capture the food with it's mouths so it just floats off. Being on the bottom, it's mouths always seem to be filled with sand from my Sandsifter Goby. I'm running new T-5's and my params are normal with nitrates <20 and Ph 8.2. All my other corals are doing great. Does anyone have any suggestions?

post-4237-141867774521_thumb.jpg

post-4237-141867774524_thumb.jpg

those photos showing bare skeleton are basically the coral in its death throes, hopefully nobody sold it to you looking like that... I would question future livestock purchases from them if they did. once you start to see skeleton in any large percentage of the coral, it is rare to bring them back. algae growth or infection on the skeleton usually keep the flesh from regrowing.

seems you have already surmised that it is over the hill. sorry for the loss.

It had a very small amount of skeleton showing when I purchased it. Gradually over the past week it began to show more and then today, it really accelerated. Now my Purple Tang is feasting on the stuff sloughing off of it. When it's this bad do I need to get it out of my tank? Will it harm other livestock while it dies?

One day my entire tank started crashing for some unknown reason, and mine looked almost exactly like that in the end. It even had algae growing on several parts of the bare skeleton. Now, it's back healthier than ever. I would try to isolate it so it's not being disturbed at all, and try target feeding something like reefchili, or even crushed flake food.

I've got it in my QT right now. It's weird though, like I said, everything else in my tank is doing great. Just this one piece is not looking good. I'm not sure if I should take it back to the LFS (not to get my money back, but to see if they can offer any guidance) or just wait and see. In the end though, I do think it's too far gone to save. (sad)

these corals are very sensitive. it is very hard to keep self control, because they are so gorgeous. you really need to let them live in the fish store for a couple weeks. that way if they die, they can take care of it with their supplier. i bought two super sweet lobos a couple months back. bought them the day they came in. unfortunately they both died. i would highly recommend if you see one you love, just ask the store if they will hold it for a couple weeks to make sure it survives. go ahead and pay for it, and let it stay at the LFS for a while.

as far as food. i feed mine mysis, squid, clams, ect.

they like moderate flow, and moderate light. i keep mine in the sand under 2x250w halides.