What type of goby and shrimp? Decisions Decisions?

fakkzz

I've got about a million questions so I just joined the forum today. I recently got my 125 gall on reef tank back and am thinking in a new direction than I had it.

I am thinking about getting a goby.... but not sure what type I should look into?

Also, I am not sure what type of shrimp we are getting either. We were thinking peppermint shrimp and either a cleaner or coral banded?

However, I'm not sure about how they will react together. Two stores employess have told me different things and on the web I seem to get different thoughts. Can the peppermints be with a cleaner or a coral banded??? Will the goby eat them all?

Anythoughts greatly appriciated!

Welcome!

Yellow Watchmen Gobies are very popular and with very good reason. Good color, good personality. Take a look into that.

You should also consider an algae blenny. Also a 'perching' type of fish. Not very colorful, but good personality and it will eat many forms (though not all) of algae.

I had a pepermint and fire shrimp together with no problems - and that was in a small (29gal) tank. I don't like coral banded shrimp - too aggresive in my limited experience, but others will chime in.

IMO, there isn't much use for pepermint shrimp unless you're trying to get rid of aptasia.

• Like 1

My son doesn't much like the corals as much as he likes the "creatures" I'm like to keep him involved and I do have a few aptasia creeping in. The tank was pretty sad when I got it back. The salt was 1.029. I had been gradually dropping it in hopes of not shocking anyone. I was thinking peppermints so he could see the shrimp? I didn't have many critters before so don't know much as to who I want to get in there. I did have a cleaner shrimp which we all LOVED!

Your peppermint and cleaner shrimp will be fine together. The Coral Banded will probably attempt to eat them. I would stay away from the Coral Banded Shrimp.

I am a fan of the Yellow Watchman Goby lots of personality. Of course we have one in our office tank so I am kind of bias.

Shane

• Like 1

Cleaner shrimp and peppermint shrimp are fine together, or they are at least in my current tank. My Coral banded shrimp was a big bully. Went after everything that came near its cave. Finally got rid of him when he grabbed a coral beauty by the nose and started shaking it.

Gobies I can just give you advice on the few that I have or have had.

Yellow headed neon sleeper goby- not unless you have a very established tank. Had 2 starve, not enough research before I bought, bad me.

Diamond goby- great sand sifter, committed suicide 2 days after. Love to jump.

Dragon Goby- My personal favorite sand sifter. Not as flashy as some, but does a great job cleaning the sand and seem pretty hardy.

Hope that gives you some help. Like I said, just personal experience.

• Like 1

I had a pistol shrimp and pink-spotted goby in my son's nano and it was great. We could watch the pair pal around together and it was fun to see the commensal relationship. When we tore down the nano, I moved the pair into my 55. Now, we never see them... they just burrow around under/behind the liverock and kick piles of substrate all over the place. They're actually more of a pain, since there isn't room to keep much coral on the bottom without it getting covered/dug up.

I'd happily put a pistol shrimp and goby in a nano species tank, but I regret putting them in my main tank. YMMV.

• Like 1

I have a yellow watchman goby and he is really cool! He hangs out in his cave peaking out all day long! He likes to wait for hermits to walk by and pick them up and bring them into his cave, doesnt eat them he just takes them inside and drops them off???

I have 2 cleaner shrimp and they are really neat to watch cling onto my tangs and clean them. I think if you were to get peppermint shrimp in a 125 you probably wouldnt see them to often, I had a few in my 120 never really saw them unless i was looking in at night with a flashlight. Just my personal expierence, but I am a rookie still!

• Like 1