Starfish Question???

fakkzz

Brand new to the forum so I'll figure it out I hope.....

I have been without my 125 gallon reef tank for over a year. In a recent seperation my ex thought it would be good fun to keep the tank (jail), cause I loved it I'm sure. It wasn't something I could carry out so it stayed. Well, I've gotten it back and although there are a few things that survived I feel like I'm starting all over. Water quality is back. New lights. New Sump. Copepods are exploding. Starting out slow though.

Now that the water is set I am looking at the cleaner crew. My son really wants a star fish. I have heard that sand sifters like to eat other friends in the tank so I am wondering if anyone has a though as to what type of star fish I might look at. (scratch) Doesn't have to be part of the clean up crew. Just a star my son would like but that is reef friendly? There currently are no fish and few corals. I hope to change that soon, however.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Hello and welcome to the boards. I am pretty sure any starfish of Linckia type are pretty much reef safe except for sponges. They will eat your sponges.

Ask all the questions you want there are some great guys and gals on here. Again welcome!

Shane

• Like 1

Brittle stars are reef safe aren't they? I don't have any stars, so I haven't paid much attention, but if I remember correctly serpent stars aren't - brittle stars are. But someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Plus, they are good and creepy - something a young boy would love.

• Like 1

Thank you so much! I was surprised to get a response so quickly! I can't wait to get the tank back to beautiful..... only thing about the whole experience is i get to start over with some new stuff I had not tried.... so very sad about the some of the corals I lost. Maybe I can find new favorite ahe?

I have 2 used to have 3 in my 36. I have a sand sifting star (no issues) and a decent sized serpant star (again no issues, except he ate my sea hare when it died), and I had an emerald green green star which I believe is in the linka family. Here is pic of him.

EmeraldStar.jpg