NW-CFM Update

JManrow

Southern California Marine Aquarium Society. 2500 people in one day and 70 vendors. It grew so quickly that they were amazed. Granted it is a larger population base but Portland is not a tiny town. I am not saying that we should go for it. But it might be a feasable dream for the future? I was just putting it out there.

http://www.reefapalooza.org/about.html

were rich yahhh. i think we could coordinate a market but after costs to hold it and everything' date=' potential for income would be slim to none. not sure what kind of turn out we could get other than ourselves.[/quote']

Hey CA2OR,

I apologize for the below quote. It sounded testy. I was a small part of THIS history as were a number of people in the Northwest and the rest of the country and sometimes we are overly sensitive to criticism (justified or not).

You should still google Kesey!

Lets get on with this thread

One of the buses is more than pimp' date=' young one. Google" Kesey" and "further". It is history.[/quote']

Southern California Marine Aquarium Society. 2500 people in one day and 70 vendors. It grew so quickly that they were amazed. Granted it is a larger population base but Portland is not a tiny town. I am not saying that we should go for it. But it might be a feasable dream for the future? I was just putting it out there.

http://www.reefapalooza.org/about.html

We are working up to eventually having a large event in the Portland area.

We have been invited to set up a table at the MCMAC Conference July 17 - 18, 2009. We should show up there in force with ride sharing or whatever! We have also been asked to help sell tickets, possibly setting up Paypal buttons for this.

But we need involvement...

“`There are going to be times,’ says Kesey, `when we can’t wait for somebody. Now you’re either on the bus or off the bus. If you’re on the bus, and you get left behind, then you’ll find it again. If you’re off the bus in the first place–then it won’t make a [language filter].’ And nobody had to have it spelled out for them. Everything was becoming allegorical, understood by the group mind, and especially this: `You’re either on the bus…or off the bus.” (Wolfe: The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, p. 74)

Kinda sounds like Tyree is afraid to make the trip up here. I wonder if that is because he dosen't get the prices for his corals here that he does down south?

Call me a "glass half empty" kinda guy but I think this is his way of saying, he won't be coming back, but that's just me.

I would like to see the club hold some form of BIG meeting in the NW. Even in conjunction with other clubs if needed.

Kinda sounds like Tyree is afraid to make the trip up here. I wonder if that is because he dosen't get the prices for his corals here that he does down south?

Call me a "glass half empty" kinda guy but I think this is his way of saying, he won't be coming back, but that's just me.

I would like to see the club hold some form of BIG meeting in the NW. Even in conjunction with other clubs if needed.

Steve said of the last two NW-CFM "The event basically broke even so it was not a failure". If he feels the attendance may be down this year in the NW because of the current state of the economy, I can't really blame him too much. I'm sure he will be back.

The "big event" this year will be the MCMAC up in the Tri-Cities area. We need to be there! The coordinators of the Conference would like PNWMAS to have a table there, and also want someone to give a short talk on the Tank For Teachers Program. I feel that Joel Lavin (tidalsculpin) would be an excellent choice for giving a short presentation either at the MCMAC or at the MCMAC BBQ afterwards! I have sent Joel a PM regarding this.

http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?t=10834

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the kind words and was looking at this MCMAC and cant find any info if there doing vendors or how to sign up.Just figured if Tyree is not doing somthing would try this.

I will find out about the Vendors and sign up, and post all that i find out.

Maybe we could do something like this:

The First Annual PNWMAS Coral Draft

1: Sell tickets for $50 ($75? $100? The larger the ticket price, the sweeter the corals in the Draft. Organizers would have to work closely with vendors when setting ticket prices, so we can be sure we'd be getting the level of corals we want)

2: Take the proceeds from the tickets and mass-buy LE ubercoral frags from sponsor(s). The number of corals bought would have to be 2x of the number of tickets sold (i.e. 50 tickets sold, 100 frags bought)

3: Have a club event where ticketholders are selected in random order to go up, one by one, to a tank holding all the corals and pick the frag of their choice. Once everyone has picked a coral, go through the list again in reverse order (that way, everyone gets a reasonable choice -- if you only went through the list once, the people at the end might feel they got the short end of the stick. Reversing the list the second time around means that the people who picked early in the first round pick late in the last, which seems fair to me).

4: Everyone goes home with two great corals that they picked, so it feels like browsing at the CFM plus everyone's a WINNAH!!

5: Sponsors get support during these rough times

A few other possibilities:

- Have two categories of tickets, SPS and LPS

- People can buy more than one ticket, getting more than one pick per round (order still random of course)

- Could have related raffles or games related to

-- picking First Round Draft Picks (people guess which 10(?) frags will be the first to go, the person with the most matches wins)

-- MVP Frag (people vote ahead of time on their favorite frag, person who takes that frag wins a prize)

-- Sponsors' Choice (each sponsor picks their favorite from the frags they supplied, person who takes that frag wins a goofball prize)

-- The "Always Picked Last" Award (people vote on the frag they'd least like to take, person who takes that frag wins a sweet prize)

-- It'd probably be wise to get a few extra corals to cover any that don't make it, could auction these off afterwards if they weren't needed after all.

Steve said of the last two NW-CFM "The event basically broke even so it was not a failure". If he feels the attendance may be down this year in the NW because of the current state of the economy, I can't really blame him too much. I'm sure he will be back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should clear this up. I believe he is not getting his money on his auction items. Which is where he makes extra money. Not one of his auction items has brought in the money in P-town that he has made at other locations. (read somewhere what some auction items went for) And if you think back there have been a few auction items that didn't even get their starting bid and they lowered it just so it would sell. So along with the lack of money they make and the distance they have to travel is why I think they will not return.

Hey Andy - that sounds like a very interesting and unique idea! Definitely worth considering if the sponsors bought into it.

Im in.

So let me get this straight. The sponsers supply the corals to the club for a discounted price because the club is buying a large quantity?

If I got it right, sounds like everyones a winner.

I like the different levels of tickets. Perhaps a LE Zoa "league" too. So LE Zoa League, LPS League, and SPS League.

Could we also sell space to venders/sponsers? I thinking we would have to pay rent somewhere even if only for a day. I see how this could go big. A very original and awesome idea. Good job Andy.

I didn't want to speak for the sponsors as far as discounts go, after all part of the goal of this would be to make them some money, buuuuut that was my hope -- bulk buying often gives better deals, right?

My worry about the idea of just trying to just duplicate the CFM is that if Tyree can't make it work then the odds of someone else succeeding are pretty low. He knows his business better than anyone. A lot (most?) of the draw to CFM is the chance to get Tyree LE corals for (relatively) cheap prices. Remember, Tyree broke even *after* charging everyone an entry fee; without the Tyree draw, it'd be hard to pull in money at the gate... Why wouldn't I just drive to Upscales, Seahorse, Waves, CRPC, SWF to buy stuff (stuff that hasn't been stressed by transport, hinky water quality, etc at that)?

That's why I thought something fun, club-centric and not looking to make a profit unto itself (though the sponsors certainly should) would be a good substitute. I'm glad some folks agree (clap)

We can still possibly have Steve Tyree in on it' date=' if enough pooled money together for a bulk buy from him. No idea if he would go for it, but its a thought. That way there would be some Tyree LE corals there.[/quote']

No thanks. Remember the size of the fargs last time? Given it was a cool event to have Steve come up but I agree with those that say we can get most of his stuff at a LFS.

I went to both events here. From my opinion, and limited budget, I did not get ANY Tyree corals. I spend some at the AWE booth, I got a lot from TEC, and the first year I got some from Ryan at AA. I think I also got one from Scott. Last year the Rics were cool, but I didn't have a lot of extra cash to get some, and they were close to the same price as at the LFS (I still don't have any in my tank).

If I look into my tank right now... Almost all the corals I got the first year are gone (dead or MIA). I can find one red monti cap that AWE threw in as a freebee on a deal.

Almost all the corals that I got the second year are still going good. I have acans, frogspawn, cyphastrea, and neon green leather. But the big difference is I bought mostly SPS the first year, and LPS the second year. My tank was too unstable for the SPS, and by the time the second year came around my tank was more stable, and I didn't try for the SPS corals.

I do know that if Jody (TEC) comes back to an event like this, I will bring as big of a wad of cash as I can get my hands on. He has AWESOME corals, and he gave a lot of killer deals. I think almost everyone walked away happy from the TEC tank.

I also think that Isaac (Seahorse) would do well with his collection of corals and his pricing.

As for Tyree, he has some nice corals, but his prices are out of my league. I am just a poor teacher after all.

dsoz