2009 Oregon Coast Aquarium/Hatfield Marine Science Center Tours

JManrow

On Saturday, April 18th, 2009 PNWMAS will have an exclusive Behind-The-Scenes Tour of the Oregon Coast Aquarium. This tour is no longer available to public or private groups, outside on PNWMAS and OSU Marine Science students! We will begin by meeting at:

Hatfield Marine Science Center

2030 SE Marine Science Drive

Newport, Oregon 97365-5296

at 10:00 AM.

We will be guided through the Center, and also get a behind-the-scenes look at the operations and educational facilities at HMSC.

While we are visiting Hatfield Marine Science Center, there will also be a classroom discussion/workshop on Treatment of Marine Fish Diseases and Quarantine Methods used at HMSC, and how they may be applied to the home marine aquarium.

At Noon, we will head just down the road to the

Oregon Coast Aquarium

2820 SE Ferry Slip Road

Newport OR 97365 http://maps.google.com/maps?q=2820+SE+Ferry+Slip+Road,+Newport+OR&hl=en

where we will meet in front of the door. You may want to bring along sandwiches for a quick lunch, as the tour will begin at 1:00PM.

Around 3:30 to 4:00PM we will meet at across the bridge at Yaquina Bay State Park for a BBQ!

It will be Potluck, so please bring your favorite... main dish, side dish, salad, beverages, veggie or cold cut trays... if everyone brings a little, there will always be more than enough to go around!:) There will be the big Clam & Oyster Feed, as always!(hungry)

It is just a ways past the first parking lot at Yaquina Bay State Park and Lighthouse.

Driving directions from OCAQ to Yaquina Bay State Recreation Site

http://maps.yahoo.com/#mvt=m&lat=44.619495&lon=-124.05513&zoom=16&q1=2820%20SE%20Ferry%20Slip%20Road%2C%20Newport%2C%20OR%2097365&q2=Yaquina%20Bay%20State%20Park%2C%20Newport%2C%20OR

Group prices for the Oregon Coast Aquarium Behind-The-Scenes Tour are as follows:

PNWMAS Members - $15.00

PNWMAS Members 12 and under - $10.00

PNWMAS Member Teachers - Free!

Non Members - $20.00

Non Members 12 and under - $12.00

Price includes cost of admission to Oregon Coast Aquarium, and the cost of the Behind-The-Scenes Tour.

PNWMAS is making a Donation to HMSC. Any additional donations at the door are optional.

To make payments, click here

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i'll be there for sure this year!!! Bringing the crab traps to drop in while we go through the tours so maybe we will have some dungeness crab for lunch too if i get lucky :D

It should be a great BBQ afterwards!

Bob & Brandy have always brought their propane Cook Pot along for cooking up a mess o' clams and oysters. A few crabs thrown in would be awesome!(rock2)(hungry)

The BBQ is pot luck!!!!

Yes! Thanks for bringing that up... Everyone bring good stuff!:D

We will probably bring Polish Sausages, Hot Links, and Potato Salad again!

The club has gotten some great donated food for past events too.

How much is it again John??

Group prices for the Oregon Coast Aquarium Behind-The-Scenes Tour are as follows:

PNWMAS Members - $15.00

PNWMAS Member Teachers - Free!

Non Members - $20.00

Price includes cost of admission to Oregon Coast Aquarium, and the cost of the Behind-The-Scenes Tour.

PNWMAS is making a Donation to HMSC. Any additional donations at the door are optional.

Paypal Buttons Will be Up Soon!

There are several places around the Aquarium to stay. Last year we stayed at a Camp site (member site) and made a weekend out of it! It was really a ton of fun and I loved the behind the scenes tours!

We are very lucky as a group to be able to do this! I want to thank John for his countless hours spent with emails and phone calls to get this all set up!

Kris

Are kids welcome?

On previous tours there was no charge for age 2 and under, and this may still be the case this year, but there would be no way to take a stroller up & down some sets of stairs on the Oregon Coast Aquarium behind-the-scenes tour. We will be touring a normally off-limits area, and it all of the areas we will be seeing are not handicap accessible.

My wife, Constance, uses a walker and will not be going behind the scenes. My daughter and her two children ages 3 and 6 will also be visiting the O.C. Aquarium, but are not going on the tour, although they would be welcome to take part in it.

While we are visiting Hatfield Marine Science Center, there will also be a classroom discussion/workshop on Treatment of Marine Fish Diseases and Quarantine Methods used at HMSC, and how they may be applied to the home marine aquarium.

Is there a cut rate John for members of the aquarium??

I will ask about that, Ryan. Last year admission was free for OCAQ members. It may be the same, with just the $5.00 tour charge. I will let you know as soon as I find out!

• 2 weeks later...
I will ask about that' date=' Ryan. Last year admission was free for OCAQ members. It may be the same, with just the $5.00 tour charge. I will let you know as soon as I find out![/quote']

Any luck John about people that are members to the aquarium??