First RBTA - Newbie question

wobble

I got a beautiful 6" diameter RBTA and maroon clown from Patrick (Saltwater Fantaseas) on Saturday. When I placed it in the tank, it slowly sucked itself in between a couple rocks. It's been sitting on the backside of the rock since. Is it just acclimating itself to my lights or will it most likely stay there? It mainly faces the back wall so I can't really see it or the clown. Obviously this just won't work for me. (laugh) Should I adjust some flow to make it move or should I leave him be?

DSCN0819-1.jpg

As long as it's staying put leave it alone. It should start coming out in a day or 2.

What lighting are you running?

(4) 54w T5 HO's w/icecap reflectors in a 75g tank. New bulbs a month ago. He's about mid level in the tank.

Floated the bag for about 30 minutes in the sump with no lights on. Then I poured anemone and water into plastic container and added very small amount of water every 5 minutes or so for about 2 hours. Pretty much same procedures outlined in the directions I get from my Diver's Den orders.

Then used a rubber glove and gently moved him from the container into the tank. I supported him with my hand next to a rock until it attached itself. It took less than a minute for him to do this. I've left him alone since then.

Have you tried feeding yet? Everything else looks good, but it may not be ready for your lighting. It came out of a tank with 150w DE MH. If it doesn't extend out to get some light, I suggest feeding until it does.

You can start with Mysis shrimp and progress to Prawns in a month or 2.

He used to be in your tank? If so, how long did you have him?

No, I haven't fed him yet. How do I feed mysis shrimp, with a turkey baster or something? Tonight is feeding night for my banana moray eel. Should I try to give him a very small piece of shrimp or is it too early?

Sorry for so many questions, but he is very important to me. A maroon clown and rbta is what motivated me to get into this hobby.

Nope, That's a RBTA from the wholesaler. At the store it was under 150w MH.

Turkey baster will work for mysis. You can try a small piece of shrimp maybe 1/4" cube. If it spits it out then try Mysis. Not too early to feed a BTA. If i doesn't hold onto the food, you may need to hold it there for a few-15 minutes. Just keep trying. If it stretches out to the light, feeding is not necessary.

It moved down behind the rock in the lower center of the picture I posted. I won't be able to get to it very easily unless I remove some rock work. Should I do this in order to try and feed it? I would think that would stress it out and it wouldn't want to eat.

Wait until it finds a good spot and stays put for a day or 2. If there are easily removed rocks above that are shading it then go ahead and move them. You'll have to be accommodating to the anemone.

Once it finds a good spot it should stay. I don't think it's trying to hide from the light. Just looking for the right spot. They usually like to keep the foot buried into a crevice in a rock or between rocks.

He's moving back up now. I'll leave him be for now.

I also put 3 blue saphire damsels in there on Saturday as well. This morning I had all 3. Now I only see 2. Can't locate the other one anywhere. The rbta wouldn't have eaten it, would it have?

I have (2) hydor koralia 4's in my 75g. Is that too much current for it? (They are on each side in the back both facing towards the front center of the tank)

Ya, I figured I'd just feed it the same thing I feed my eel. Squid, scallops, shrimp, and krill. I share your opinion on silversides, but I guess once in a great while wouldn't hurt. Hopefully it will work out long term. This is something I've always wanted in my tank, just didn't want to shell out the cash after my bad experience with the sebae a year ago.

The messed up part is I can only see the top part of it. It's still facing the back wall behind the rocks. I don't know if it actually ate the piece of squid I gave it or not. I saw the eel dart over there, so I'm not sure if the eel stole it or not. I really with it would move where I can see it and the clown.