Live Rock curing/storage question

I just took all the live rock from my 40 gallon tank in school today to give some space to my shark once it hatches to swim around. There are a lot of choice pieces of LR, tons of xenia but tons and tons and tons of Aptasia. I put all of the rock in a 55 gallon trash can pretty much dry, there is about 5 gallons of saltwater in it, I was originally planning on filling it up with water but didnt know the best way to cure it for later use and thought dry seems best from my ignorant perspective. What should I do? The trash can is sitting outside covered, no lighting, no powerheads, minimal water (covering maybe 20% of the rock), should I use powerheads and heat and keep it wet? or should I leave it to dry and die off?

Thanks as always for the help, its much appreciated.

I think you should leave at least some of the rock in your 40 to function as a biological filter. since you don't have much in the way of marine flora & fauna on your rock, a powerhead should be enough to keep it going.

We can aquascape the 55 with those choice pieces when I come over next Friday. Too bad we dumped out so much old water the other night... it would have been good to use for covering the rock.

Maybe just put part of the rock back in your 40, and add the rest to the 55 and 35.

"tons of xenia but tons and tons and tons of Aptasia. I put all of the rock in a 55 gallon trash can pretty much dry, there is about 5 gallons of saltwater in it",

This is what caused my thinking. Die off:)

I agree partly with John. Put some back in the tank for the shark. Keep the rest wet.

Aptasia can live through a nuclear winter... A couple of days dry probably won't kill them off. The xenia on the other hand...

I agree it is not the bacteria that cause the die-off, it is all the other stuff.

Depending on how much time you have, you may just want to dry/bleach/start over with some of that rock. It takes a few weeks, but it may be worth it. Then you can get some good looking rock with no aptasia, calurpa or xenia on it.

dsoz

alright' date=' I am going to add saltwater to it today and will add some to the 40. Is it ok to have the rest in the cold, covered by saltwater or should I put a heater in it? Will there be too much die off by Friday to put it in the 35 I am setting up?[/quote']

Well I still think your going to have some issues as I stated. Also I use a small torch on the antipasta ((flame)) out of the water of course. I really would add the heater, salt mix and a power head.No light needed Dump the existing liquid and start fresh Check the levels next Friday. DO NOT use the new water mix in the tank from the current rocks next Friday either.:)

(laugh)

I keep a few large rocks in a 18gal storage bin with a powerhead and heater. I top it off with RO every few days and replace the water with WC water from my display about once a month. The rock looks great, no detrius or sediment runs out of it now. I'm planning to do this with the rest of my rock in my tank when i change tanks.