New Ultimate Acrylic Cleaner

andy

Apparently, that's what I'm hoping to get confirmed by RHF. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's a difference between an end-product (the sponge) and fine powder mixed into food to spoof protein levels buuuut you never know.

Apparently' date=' that's what I'm hoping to get confirmed by RHF. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that there's a difference between an end-product (the sponge) and fine powder mixed into food to spoof protein levels buuuut you never know.[/quote']

Yeah - that would be my guess as well... it's dependent on the form and hence absorbability. So... if you eat the sponge, you might be OK ;)

It works!

Hi guys.

Thanks for following the story. I did try it out and it worked amazingly well. I asked my wife (works in the food field) if melamine was harmful or reactive under water, and she said only if injested (as it would break down in your body).

So for what it is worth, it is completely safe. I have used it for the last 3 days on different areas of the tank (with different thickness algae) and it rubs it all out with ease.

I will do a followup writeup on this with pictures!

Hmmm' date=' I'm not so sure now -- the ones I picked up tonight warn specifically against aquarium use, as well as having warnings against using them on polished surfaces.[/quote']

If their the white ones like pictured in the article you referenced, I would think they are ok. They may probably say that for legal reasons, and not due to any testing.

If their the white ones like pictured in the article you referenced' date=' I would think they are ok. They may probably say that for legal reasons, and not due to any testing.[/quote']

I am thinking likewise, just like the warning on the bags of Southdown Sand against aquarium use.

I see there are also "Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® Kitchen with Febreze Fresh Scent" and "Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® Bathroom with Febreze® Fresh Scent". I would avoid using these.

I bought a 2-pack of "Mr. Clean® Magic Eraser® Extra Power" http://www.mrclean.ca/en_CA/products/magic_eraser.shtml at Fred Meyer for $3.19 yesterday. I am following the directions of wetting the sponge and squeezing out excess water. It is doing a good job buffing out the very fine scratches in the 40 acrylic I took down a week ago. Although it does not look "like new", it has been a great improvement. As I use the scrubber, there seems to be a white sludge on the surface of fine acrylic dust and water. This rinses off easily. The toughest parts of the tank to buff are the sides, where coralline algae was left growing the last few years, leaving some deep etching of the acrylic. I will be posting another picture of the tank later after I put a bit more work into it.

So far, it has been worth the $3.19... and a fair amount of elbow grease.

The Extra Power is what was available. I did some research when I got home and discovered it was not the original Magic Eraser. I read it was a stronger pad and contained no added chemicals. After using it, I rinsed the tank well several times.

The first pic is before I buffed the tank. Notice fine scratches and some clouding of tank sides. Next two after using Magic Eraser and rinsed. Last set is tank filled with water.

post-2-141867743029_thumb.jpg

post-2-141867743032_thumb.jpg

post-2-141867743035_thumb.jpg

post-2-141867743038_thumb.jpg

post-2-141867743041_thumb.jpg