Mounting Metal Halides

USCG CWO

Are you using reflectors? The "center point" of the bulb should be centered in the opening, side to brace. take string or something rigid. X the top and you have center of opening. Bulbs are basically the same. 400w are longer bulbs, 250w shorter. Do not mount without reflector where it is so close to the wood. Fire wouldn't be too far beyond.

My 400's are 11" from the water, not the tank top. center would work fine, you may want to consider the rock and corals you wish to keep. If you are going to stack from the sides up to the center and keep your sps high and center you might move them a little closer to the center, this will give you more light in the center and less on the ends for softies and others that dont need (or want) as much light

One thing to consider: If you move the bulbs closer together, you'll get a wider range of darker-to-brighter areas. SPS can go in the brighter area while LPS/rics/etc can go into the darker areas on the sides.

Yes I am using reflector material. I plan on insulating the bulb from the wood. Is depth from water critical? I heard 8-12 inchs is standard.

There are a couple issues with finding the right height, one is the spread of the light (i.e coverage front to back of the tank) which will depend on the reflector you use and also heat generation/evaporation (worse the closer to the water). If I remember correctly, you had planned for quite a bit of airflow in the canopy which will help but this may still be an issue in terms of superheating the surface of the water. Unfortunately, I don't know of a good way to calculate the impact of this so it may require a little trial and error - either that or design an adjustable mounting! One additional issue with getting too close is the potential for water damage to the bulbs if your reflectors are not covered...

Good luck - this is coming together really nicely!