fragging gone wrong

vanz

[language filter] it...tried to frag some palys this morning, but I think I killed the entire bunch instead. Poor purple deaths...

I tried dremeling the rock that they were on...kinda a weird pointy rock where they were growing on both sides, but couldn't get that far, then tried to break the rock with a nail and a hammer...instead crush the opposite side of the rock, which had some palys...then being the numb nuts that I am, tried cracking the opposite side. In the end...couldn't crack the rock in half and probably 8 or so smashed to a pulp purple deaths.

Also jacked up my encrusting monti pretty bad trying to get a piece off from it.

In my experience they will definitely grow back. If there is any tissue left at all they will be back within a few weeks. In the future you can cut the paly right at the stem of the polyp with a razor and glue the polyp head onto another rock. The old stem will grow a new polyp and you have a new frag. Easy way to frag with no risk of smashing them.

Yeah they look bad but will bounce back. Next time try using some bone cutters or a set of dikes. I like to cut the rock with a big set of dikes then cut the flesh with a razor blade.

+1 on the cutters. I have found this to be the best way - break the rock up then use a sharp plade on the polyp to seperate from the rest.

I think you are cool. don't trip they will bounce back. you should have just traded me the whole rock.(whistle). No worries you still have those other 2 I like. Good luck. sorry about the monti, that should be good too though I would imagine. Were you interested in that Chalice?

Oh, that's not good Vans...lol I got some polys a little while ago that had been smashed with guts hanging to get a frag of them off. In a couple days they settled in the sand and they now look great again. As for the Monti, as long as you don't see any recession you should be okay. I've had as few as 4 polyps grow back into a piece. They grow back pretty fast anyway.

Oh' date=' that's not good Vans...lol I got some polys a little while ago that had been smashed with guts hanging to get a frag of them off. In a couple days they settled in the sand and they now look great again. As for the Monti, as long as you don't see any recession you should be okay. I've had as few as 4 polyps grow back into a piece. They grow back pretty fast anyway.[/quote']

After all the work on trying to frag the monti, I only got pieces that are about 1/4" x 1/2" or so. They are all white at the moment...we'll see if they grow back. May have to hold off on the trade there.

Some of the palys are starting to open up again (clap)

Also, I decided to use the smaller pump, let me know when ever you are in town.

I think you are cool. don't trip they will bounce back. you should have just traded me the whole rock.(whistle). No worries you still have those other 2 I like. Good luck. sorry about the monti' date=' that should be good too though I would imagine. Were you interested in that Chalice?[/quote']

Yeah, I'm interested in that chalice that you described. We'll have to wait though, maybe after your tank is clear of whatever was infecting your fish. That'll give me time to frag the polyps and let it grow for a bit.

After all the work on trying to frag the monti, I only got pieces that are about 1/4" x 1/2" or so. They are all white at the moment...we'll see if they grow back. May have to hold off on the trade there.

Some of the palys are starting to open up again (clap)

Also, I decided to use the smaller pump, let me know when ever you are in town.

OK sounds good. I should be up there wednesday or thursday. I'll PM you when I know for sure so I can swing by your place while i'm there.

sweet. Gonna bring stuff with you?(whistle)

NOPE!!!(laugh)(laugh) Gonna force you to come this way this time(threaten).

I may be nice and bring them your way...:p