Double Damn! (flame)

siskiou

So, I just discovered nudis (3 adults) in my 60G cube, despite having quarantined! (flame)

I guess I didn't pay enough attention, when checking.

Just what I needed 2 weeks before my trip to Germany!

I've read about them before, but not indepth enough to know what to treat with and where to get it!

I have a QT tank ready. Do I understand correctly that all types of montipora have to be treated?

And how many weeks do they have to stay out of the main tank?

Actually, if there is someone in Eugene who is good at identifying corals would want to come by and tell me, which of my mystery frags are montipora, I'd be very grateful!

I'm off to research...

Good little article here. http://www.wetwebmedia.com/corldisart.html Some pointers on Quarantine, Montipora-eating Nudibranchs, AEF, and the like. You may want to do a search on using a Praziquantel bath for the Montipora-eating Nudibranchs.

Best of luck, and let us know what success you have. I use Wet Web Media http://www.wetwebmedia.com/Googlesearch.htm as my Homepage. It has a nice option for searching either Web or WetWebMedia.com.

Good luck with them they were a pest to me so I just got rid of all my montis(sad) I tried dipping my corals and also a qt tank. Kept all the montis in there for about 3 months. Well long story short after puting them back into the main display a few months later I spotted oneDOH! It was to frustrating for me so no montis for a while hopefully all the little buggers will die off(rock2)

potassium permanganate. I gave a bunch of it to Impur last summer. He probably still has some.

If you are coming by Portland anytime soon, I can take them and treat them and give them back to you when they are done. I have a tank with no montipora in it (except some that are already in treatment for nudibranchs). I would be happy to help you out.

dsoz

dsoz, I'd love to take you up on that offer, but wouldn't be able to get them to you until March 13th, when I'm leaving for Germany.

It's a Friday, and I would have to drop them off around 11am-12pm. My flight leaves at 4:30pm that day.

I understand if that doesn't work for you. It's a weekday, after all. Coming to Portland before is not an option,unfortunately.

Thanks for your offer! These nudis are sure popping up everywhere!

I found one really infested monticap that I just threw out, and I've taken off the few adults on the rest of them.

They are all in a QT tank for now, and I was going to see if I can find a wrasse (suitable for a 60G tank) that I could qt along with the montis (without treatment for now) and then add to the tank.

I'll try to take pics of the frags that I'm not sure what they are for ID help!

Good luck with them they were a pest to me so I just got rid of all my montis(sad)

Thanks and that's really sad about your montis! I've heard many accounts of other people just finally giving up and going without Montis for a while.

Next time, I'll qt corals for much longer! Maybe I need to get a better light for my QT tank, since that was the main reason for only leaving the corals in for a month.

I guess it's really easy to overlook the little buggers if there are only a few of them.

I have heard that some treatments require a lot of attention for a few days. I hope this isn't one of those.

Thanks! Unfortunately, I think this is a pest that requires a *lot* of attention! :(

Melanurus Wrasse

I wish someone in Eugene had one. Would you recommend them for a 60G cube? I looked at some info, but they aren't always to be trusted, when it comes to tank size.

In that case you may want to take Dsoz up on his offer. I don't have any pointers on getting it to him any sooner but you may want to consider making it happen. I am going to working on catching my fish tonight and taking to him tomorrow for treatment.

dsoz, I'd love to take you up on that offer, but wouldn't be able to get them to you until March 13th, when I'm leaving for Germany.

It's a Friday, and I would have to drop them off around 11am-12pm. My flight leaves at 4:30pm that day.

I understand if that doesn't work for you. It's a weekday, after all. Coming to Portland before is not an option,unfortunately.

Thanks for your offer! These nudis are sure popping up everywhere!

I found one really infested monticap that I just threw out, and I've taken off the few adults on the rest of them.

They are all in a QT tank for now, and I was going to see if I can find a wrasse (suitable for a 60G tank) that I could qt along with the montis (without treatment for now) and then add to the tank.

I'll try to take pics of the frags that I'm not sure what they are for ID help!

You could drop them off at my school on your way (just 5 or 10 min away from I-5). The secretary in the office knows my fish habits, and you can just say that they are corals for Mr. Soz. She would laugh and let me know at my lunch time. Then you are back on I-5 without much delay. When you come back we could do the same process in reverse if you want. I don't know how long your trip will be, but I am willing to hold them longer if needed.

dsoz

Yeah I dipped them in the potassium stuff from Dsoz but just gave up as it was a pain in the a**. I did the same as you and tossed the really infested one but it was to late they were all over as I had at least 7 dif. types on montipora in the tank. Lost everything over a 8 month stretch. I just threw away my undata a few months ago as I was pissed to see a bug on it(flame)Good luck with the qy and hopefully it works out for the better for you.

You could drop them off at my school on your way (just 5 or 10 min away from I-5). The secretary in the office knows my fish habits, and you can just say that they are corals for Mr. Soz. She would laugh and let me know at my lunch time. Then you are back on I-5 without much delay. When you come back we could do the same process in reverse if you want. I don't know how long your trip will be, but I am willing to hold them longer if needed.

dsoz

That would be great!

What school is it? Do you have the QT at school?

And what would be the best way to pack to corals, so they'll make it until you can get to them?

I'll have to see where I can get those little heat packs.

I'm coming back on March 31rst, but that's in the evening, so I'm not sure about picking them up then.

Maybe I could schedule a trip to Portland In April or May, if that would work for you?

Thanks again for your generous offer!

First you need to be sure they are monit eating nudis. There are lots of types. I have lots of that potassium permanganate from Dennis. You are welcome to as much as you need.

Experience wise I had to do the same as Scott. I dipped in TMPCC for 8 weeks, then i tried 4 weeks of the KMnO4. Still had em. I kept about 3 polyps of superman monti and a pencil led sized piece of a purple digi, the rest i tossed.

I remember your struggle with them, Miles, and my mood sure went down the toilet when I discovered the things today!

I've tossed the two most affected pieces and only kept a piece or two of them that looked clean.

They were only on montis, so I'm pretty sure they are the monti eating kind. The 3 acros, and the efflo look unaffected (an Efflo is not a monti relation, is it?).

Everything monti is in QT, and I might go put a yellow wrasse into the QT tank tomorrow, if I can find one locally.

The Melanurus are hard to find.

The problem is that I'm going on vacation for a couple of weeks, and can't really keep up with the dipping, so I think I'll take dsoz (that's Dennis, right?) up on his offer.

He has some corals in QT for nudis currently.

This hobby can sure be frustrating, sometimes!

I just told Joel yesterday that everything was healthy and stable!DOH!

That would be great!

What school is it? Do you have the QT at school?

And what would be the best way to pack to corals, so they'll make it until you can get to them?

I'll have to see where I can get those little heat packs.

I'm coming back on March 31rst, but that's in the evening, so I'm not sure about picking them up then.

Maybe I could schedule a trip to Portland In April or May, if that would work for you?

Thanks again for your generous offer!

It is Woodburn High School. No, the QT is at my house, but the corals would be fine in a bucket of water and a PH while I am at school.

Bags of water in a cooler/icechest would be a good way to get them from Eugene to Woodburn. Heat pack if you want.

If you want to pick them up on the 31st from Oregon City, that is fine with me... Or you can wait until April or May. No difference to me.

dsoz

I would seriously consider a 6 line wrasse or a melanarus as suggested by rose city before going to the extreme of QTing all of your montis. I have also had success watching my montis in the evening with the lights off and sucking the nudibranchs out with a turkey baster. They seem to conglomerate to on a single colony until it is devoured and then move on, so if you can find the heavy concentration of them you can remove a large population with the turkey baster. I had them infect a colony about 6 months ago and between the turkey baster and adding a 6 line I have not seen 1 since. I have probably 15 healthy monti colonies all growing and thriving very nicely. I could be wrong but that was my experience.

Thanks for the advice!

I've been considering getting a yellow wrasse for the quarantine tank, but I don't want a wrasse in the 60G (the monti tank), because they will decimate the stomatella snails, and I really like those.

I could add it to my 120G, but that wouldn't do the montis any good if some of the nudis survived the QT period.