PC or MAC

snowpunk

PC or MAC  

1. 1.

• PC
    • Mac
    • Both

I too have zero issues with Vista. But I am always working on, updating, changing things there. I am avid gamer and all about visual affect so personaly I only consider Ultimate as Vista. But IMO Vista Ultimate is very....WOW. If anyone has issues with it, IMO it is configuration or your hardware isn't strong enough. Call or PM me and see if I can't change your mind. I am even willing to put my laptop up against anyone's desktop or laptop (PC or MAC) for comparison and battle. Wonder who will win?

I too have zero issues with Vista. But I am always working on' date=' updating, changing things there. I am avid gamer and all about visual affect so personaly I only consider Ultimate as Vista. But IMO Vista Ultimate is very....WOW. If anyone has issues with it, IMO it is configuration or your hardware isn't strong enough. Call or PM me and see if I can't change your mind. I am even willing to put my laptop up against anyone's desktop or laptop (PC or MAC) for comparison and battle. Wonder who will win?[/quote']

lol, i would win, there isn't a laptop out there that can do what a beefy gaming desktop can. there's not enough room for SLI cards. Not enough room for 8 gig RAM, not enough room for a lot of stuff. no 20" monitor. i understand it is alienware, but still...

i really want to do the fish tank mineral oil gaming rig build. kinda bad looking with all the wires though. very efficient cooling.

here is a link to check it out....VERY COOL

Smann' date=' what is FXS? My pc rig that i built runs gears of war, cod4, crysis, unreal 3, NFS, ect...at full settings no glitches. dont know how to check fps on most of the games, but on gears of war, i run 50-60fps[/quote']

FSX is the latest(and last) version of Microsoft Flight simulator. They built it purposly so no one could run it at max so it would last a few years. As always though with tweaks and tricks (and$$) people are getting really good frame rates

lol, i would win, there isn't a laptop out there that can do what a beefy gaming desktop can. there's not enough room for SLI cards. Not enough room for 8 gig RAM, not enough room for a lot of stuff. no 20" monitor. i understand it is alienware, but still...

i really want to do the fish tank mineral oil gaming rig build. kinda bad looking with all the wires though. very efficient cooling.

here is a link to check it out....VERY COOL

I disagree with you. My laptop is a Core 2 Duo extreme 2.8 with 4g of DDR3, Dual 512 Geforce 4's running in SLI, and a solid state 32g HDD and 250g SATA. But I did spend $5600 on it too so it better be able to compete.

I disagree with you. My laptop is a Core 2 Duo extreme 2.8 with 4g of DDR3' date=' Dual 512 Geforce 4's running in SLI, and a solid state 32g HDD. But I did spend $5600 on it too so it better be able to compete.[/quote']

[language filter] Eric!! Give me some of that money!

Wish I still had it like that. The only reason I have this laptop is because the first model I bought I sent in so many times that they upgraded me to the next years top of the line. Then I sent that one in 5 more times and here we are with the now next years top of the line. It is the M17x. So can't take all the credit.

I disagree with you. My laptop is a Core 2 Duo extreme 2.8 with 4g of DDR3' date=' Dual 512 Geforce 4's running in SLI, and a solid state 32g HDD and 250g SATA. But I did spend $5600 on it too so it better be able to compete.[/quote']

Geforce 4's? (scratch)

I'm upgrading a buddy's computer soon. He's got a quad core o/c on water, triple geforce 768mb 8800 gtx sli, 8gb o/c corsair xms ram, and it's just too old and slow for him now. He's looking at getting either an i7 or core 2 duo 3.2 extreme, triple geforce 1gb 285s. Some people just have too much money. (laugh)

Yeah, it IS a cult thing. I've been a PC guy since time began, and used to be a UNIX admin. Prior to OS/X, I thought Macs were a curiosity -- kind'a quirky, frustrating in some ways (one-button mouse? jeebus...) but still charming, fun and fine for artistic beatniks. Buuuut, once OS/X hit that was it for me, I drank the kool-ade... not enough to get religion, but enough to be a dedicated user. I've still got my beefy XP gaming box (though it's a 98 lb weakling compared to the behemoths described above), but for everything else at home I'm pretty much converted.

And seriously, putting Vista on a tricked out machine is a strange exercise in masochism. You *are* sacraficing a crapload of CPU cycles. You might not miss them because of the machine's beefy biceps, but why have all that horsepower if your just gonna piss a bunch of it away on a crappy OS? You might as well have saved some coin and bought a lesser machine and run XP.

Are you referring to my cult comment in the other thread? (laugh)

Well stated. I still want to spend some more time with OS/X, but just don't want to shell out the cash. Besides, XP actually works very well for my needs. I'm not really a gamer anymore, but I still use alot of applications that I'd have to find alternatives for if I switched to a Mac.

I also agree that Vista is a crappy OS. I run five computers with XP Pro and one with Vista at my house. The only reason one of them is still on Vista is because my daughter likes it for the built-in dvd making software. I own two more copies of Vista, but I ended up going back to XP on those computers. IMO, Vista is just too buggy, too much of a resource hog, and suffers from an extremely non-intuitive user interface.

I also have a few test boxes at work with Vista and Win7. Vista suffers from admin application incompatibilities. Not being able to use Windows Server Admin Tools is a pain. Pretty sad I have to log into the server to do minor things like user administration. While Win7 does seem to be an improvement over Vista, it seems more like Vista w/sp2 to me.

What I think would be an interesting survey is iphone vs. windows mobile?

Personally, I think the iphone is much more proprietary than the osx for pc's.

It is close to impossible to us an iphone on anything but att. At least you can use parallels and run windows in the intelmacs, and at least you can run them on any wifi network.

The apple strategy has helped them survive. Secrets, beauty,quality and security.

I was talking to my tech rep in my school. He said that osx has had exactly 80 virus attacks since os 10.0. All have been thwarted. Can Windows claim that? Mac is def. ahead of the curve on security.

I bet a mac that costs 5700 bucks could keep up nicely with alienware pcs. Maybe it would cost 7000 grand to match in performance but I bet it coud match pretty closely.

agreed. viruses are not a big deal for anyone with a decent knowledge of computers and a good antivirus program. i dont mean norton, i mean something like "the shield deluxe".

also agree that a rockin pc can be built for around $1500, for just the case. i know mine was somewhere around that price range and it is going to be a while before a game comes out that i have to lower the settings for. wouldn't mind having a better processor though.

AMD 5600+ X2 Black Edition clocked at 3.2Ghz

2x EVGA nVidia 8800 GTX in SLI

8GB DDR2 800Mhz Gskill RAM

1TB SATA HD

750GB External HD

20" 1080p LCD

zboard gaming keyboard

laser gaming mouse

I do things a little different than most gamers, but I like the way my systems work for everything.

my system-

intel 3.2 quad core (45nm, 1333fsb)

intel MB

gtx 260 video

ddr3 1333 ram 4gb (2x 2gb)

4x 320gb hard drives in a raid

tv tuner card

nice corsair PS

lots of fans on the case

Yet another gamer and built-my-own guy here. Didn't expect so many of us on here.

BTW, Eric, $5,600? Ouch. Not sure how long ago you built your box. Problem with spending all that money on bleeding edge like Extreme processor and SDD is that now, my $1,200 box is faster than your $5,600 box.

Extremes are a total waste of money. I generally stay 1 generation back - 90% of the performance and 1/2 the cost.

45nm Duo Core @3.4

ASUS Maximus

ATI 4870

4g (2x2) 1066 DDR2

MadReefer, what kind of TV tuner do you have? Like it? Most of them get horrible reviews. I wouldn't mind having one if I could find a good one. Wow, 4x320 in raid? Some kind of split between raid 0 and raid 1?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2942132&CatId=1427

I do like it on this PC. I had it for my old system and I don't think it worked as well with that MB.

I have it set up for raid0 now. It's very fast, 120-150 for transfer but it's slow to seek, ~12. I was going to test it on this and then switch it to 0+1 or 5.