frogspawn not looking good

jason7504

I wouldn't be to concerned if everything else in your tank is fine, sometimes corals just dont make it. I have a piece you can have if you want and try again, I believe the pieces I given away have done fine in other tanks

That's a tough call. I have found out that ka can have a dramatic effect on the tissue. Tank mates get used to some changes over time. It's a new add going through shock change. If your lsf will let you. I would test your perims against theirs. Especially when adding to your setup. There are so many different factors in this hobby for keeping proper perims it can cause madness. Real sorry for the loss

I wouldn't be to concerned if everything else in your tank is fine' date=' sometimes corals just dont make it. I have a piece you can have if you want and try again, I believe the pieces I given away have done fine in other tanks[/quote']

is it a frogspawn?

would my low alk or if i had lower ca would that cause it to die that fast though?

A sudden shock could do it. I have seen calcium overdoses do terrible things. The rapid change to a lower level may have negative effects too. I will be looking into that. In the meantime, you might want to check your calcium before you add anything new.

would my low alk or if i had lower ca would that cause it to die that fast though?

If your water params. were way off from the tank you got the frag from then yes it could have killed it. If it was off it put your coral into stress which started its downfall and the coral not being acclimated to them didn't help.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I did every thing possible to make my hammer happy. Decided to put it in low light and almost no flow. Both heads have opened. They are small and looks like totally new growth! Don't know what caused it and NO idea what helped it.

But sure happy it's back

I gathered that collection over two years. One or two heads at a time. The great thing about euphyllia is that they are "fast" growers, and one head turns into several in a year. Then those several turn into many in another year. Day-to-day is seems like there is no growth, but over the months it is incredible.

I'm glad that you did not give up on it, and that it bounced back. Next start moving it up the tank to slowly give it more light, and feed it small chunks of meaty food to get it growing faster.

dsoz

Man, I saw your tank again this weekend, dsoz. Your FS are taking over! Those things are growing fast - it's time to thin the forest a bit. The galaxia down on the sand bed are almost completely shaded out. You should post some updated pics.

I just pulled my green torch this weekend, and it is growing really fast. Was 2 heads just a few months ago, and now 5 good sized heads. A few more months and I'll be fragging that guy up.