frogspawn not looking good

jason7504

The tentacles should move a little in the current, but not wave around like mad.

It is acclimating to your tank. Just let it be. White stuff is probably the slime coat.

Is it sticking up or resting on the sand/rocks? It should be sticking up so that no flesh is touching anything else.

dsoz

I have seen the skeleton stick through the flesh before. It is usually from the trauma of being in the bag. It can recover if you give it good conditions. Like Michael said, low flow, but it does need some water movement.

As long as the flesh does not start turning into brown jelly. If it starts to do that, then that head is probably not going to make it. You would want to break off the brown head and remove it from your tank.

I did have one head of FS start to have brown jelly. It dissolved about 85% of the tissue then stopped. The head has recovered and started growing again (only from 1/4 of the original skeleton). It even has started to form a second head off the side. This is not the normal outcome from brown jelly though.

I to am having hammer problems. I got a new frag last weekend and aclimated to the tank. Opened up looked great for 3 days. It has sucked in and stayed that way for the last 3 days. I don't see any kind of slime or sluffing.

I have been search older threads some say med light & flow, others say lower light. I use t5's.

I have direct feed with Phyto feast, nothing chaging. How long can it stay sucked in before it bites the big one?

Amn. 0, Nitrate 0-.5, Nitrite 0, PH 8.2,Cal 425.

Any ideas?

Jason - no doubt it was a major change from the conditions of where it was kept last.

What are your current water parameters, especially pH, KH, and Ca ?

Sudden extreme shifts in any of these can stress corals in this way.

You might even get a water sample to test from the last tank that it came from.

Beckie- you saw the hammer and frogspawn in my tank. They are under 6 T5 bulbs and doing fine from the bottom to the top of the tank. My only rule is low to medium water flow. If the tentacles wave around too much then they tend to rip off and float away. It can't be good to have that happen too often. I have seen FS stay contracted that way for almost a week before opening up and looking good.

When the tentacles do open up, don't try to feed small foods. I feed my frogspawn and hammers large chunks of freeze dried plankton. Look at the mouth. When it opens up it is at least 1/8 to 1/4 inch in diameter. A piece of food as big as one of these letters should fit in that mouth just fine. I turn off all the pumps, and place the plankton near the mouth. If the coral is hungry it will grab the food and shove it in the mouth. If it is not hungry, the food will just float away. The whole process takes about 10-20 minutes. Then I turn the pumps back on.

Jason and Beckie- I hope your corals both get better. :)

dsoz

Jason - no doubt it was a major change from the conditions of where it was kept last.

What are your current water parameters, especially pH, KH, and Ca ?

Sudden extreme shifts in any of these can stress corals in this way.

You might even get a water sample to test from the last tank that it came from.

my pH is 8.2, alk is 2.5( yeah i know its low.im trying to raise it though) and im not sure what my ca is because i dont have a test kit yet

I have seen the skeleton stick through the flesh before. It is usually from the trauma of being in the bag. It can recover if you give it good conditions. Like Michael said, low flow, but it does need some water movement.

As long as the flesh does not start turning into brown jelly. If it starts to do that, then that head is probably not going to make it. You would want to break off the brown head and remove it from your tank.

I did have one head of FS start to have brown jelly. It dissolved about 85% of the tissue then stopped. The head has recovered and started growing again (only from 1/4 of the original skeleton). It even has started to form a second head off the side. This is not the normal outcome from brown jelly though.

ok well i hope that it does recover and doesn't get brown jelly. i will check it tomarrow and hope for somewhat of a recovery

whoops yep ypu should probably get a supplement yo boost that alk up fast(no faster than the directions though) I had alk problems a while ago an had simular p-roblems.do you do frequent water changes?make it routine if its not already....I find that my water seems to be low on alk all the time (especially if my cal. is on the higher end)so I just routily add the supplement.

my pH is 8.2' date=' alk is 2.5( yeah i know its low.im trying to raise it though) and im not sure what my ca is because i dont have a test kit yet[/quote']

Just making a note for newbies. When you say alk is 2.5, the reading is in meq/l, and not dKH (also known as KH) or ppm (aka mg/l) Its a little low, but acceptable. 2.5 to 3.5 meq/l (7 to 10 dKH) Bringing it up gradually would be a good thing to do. Get a Ca test kit, or at least for now, take a water sample to your LFS for testing.:)

From "The Marine Aquarium Reference:

Systems and Invertebrates" © by Martin A. Moe, Jr. 1989, page 36:

Part I. The Marine Environment

Chapter 1. The Chemical Environment

Table 2. Hardness Equivalents

Unit Equivalents in ppm CaCO3

1 meq/l 50.0

ppm CaCO3 1.0

1 grain CaCO2 per US Gallon 17.1

=B0Clark, English, 1 grain CaCO3 per Imperial Gallon 14.3

10 ppm (France), 10 ppm CaCO3 10.0

dKH, =B0KH, KH or dH, German, 10 ppm CaO 17.9

To convert meq/l to ppm CaCO3 multiply by 50

To convert meq/l to dKH multiply by 2.8

To convert dKH to meq/l divide by 2.8

To convert dKH to ppm multiply by 17.9

to =B0Clark multiply by 1.25

To convert =B0Clark to ppm multiply by 14.3

to dKH multiply by 0.8

To convert ppm to =B0Clark multiply by 0.07

to dKH multiply by 0.05

whoops yep ypu should probably get a supplement yo boost that alk up fast(no faster than the directions though) I had alk problems a while ago an had simular p-roblems.do you do frequent water changes?make it routine if its not already....I find that my water seems to be low on alk all the time (especially if my cal. is on the higher end)so I just routily add the supplement.

i have an alk supp..well the salt i was using had low alk but now i switched salts to one that has a high ca,alk and mag..yeah i do weekly water changes of around 10%.