Shane's 90gal Build

USCG CWO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of poly are you using? Spray or wipe on?

Hey Scott I am using Minwax Polycrylic. I have applied it using a spraygun and a brush. I like the waterbase just because clean up is easier. It is not as durable as the oil based, but A LOT easier to clean up after.

Shane

• 2 weeks later...

Updated Pics

After one week of blood, sweat, tears, and a ton of frustration my tank is setup and running. Initially after I set everything up I realized I had way to much pump, as it was literally sucking my sump dry even after backing off on the ballvalve, so it was with great heartache that I had to tear it all back down and go grab a smaller pump. I will get into specifics later right now I need some rest. Here is the pics. I'll take better full tank shots tomorrow.

IMG_0977-1.jpg[/img]

IMG_0979.jpg[/img]

IMG_0999.jpg[/img]

IMG_1003.jpg[/img]

IMG_1005.jpg[/img]

IMG_1009.jpg[/img]

IMG_1010.jpg[/img]

IMG_0987.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking

Shane

Looking good Shane! Glad to see it up and running for you - it all seems to have come together really nicely. Looks like you put some thought into the plumbing setup... I like the lines you added for the reactors, very clean.

Congrats on getting this put together (rock2)

Seems a little too late for you now, but for anyone else with a large pump, you can always tee off of it and have some of it dump right back in the sump... later you can use the tee to feed chillers and larger skimmers/reactors etc.

Seems a little too late for you now, but for anyone else with a large pump, you can always tee off of it and have some of it dump right back in the sump... later you can use the tee to feed chillers and larger skimmers/reactors etc.

It wasn't so much of how much it was pushing, it was more an issue of how much it was pulling in. The flow was so fast through the sump that the micro bubbles from the skimmer didn't have time to get to the surface. Instead they where being dumped into my display tank.

When I added a couple extra baffles to help this the pump would drain my return section and run dry. It was for my setup just way to much pump.

The two biggest things I learned from this are:

1) DO NOT bolt your return pump to the floor of your stand with nuts and bolts. DOH! You have no way of grasping the nuts to remove the bolts to get your pump out. I spent the better half of a day using a dremel in a very tight space trying to cut the heads off to get the pump back out, and I had to do it carefully as I was trying to exchange the pump for another. (sad)

2) With pen and paper draw out your piping system and make a list of needed parts and appropriate sizes. That way when you go to the hardware store for PVC parts you don't make 3 trips and spend $100 for $30 worth of parts. :eek:

Oh and I thought of something else buckets, towels, and then more towels, and if it is a big tank, you need another strong back to lift it up and down a few times while you make adjustments. DO NOT rely on your signifigant other to help your dumb a$$ carry a very heavy tank. My wife looked at mine and told me exactly what to do with my new tank. :D

Shane

Yeah buddy! That looks great Shane. I'm glad to see those anthias are doing good. They are a beautiful fish. And nice Scoly too!

After one week of blood, sweat, tears, and a ton of frustration my tank is setup and running. Initially after I set everything up I realized I had way to much pump, as it was literally sucking my sump dry even after backing off on the ballvalve, so it was with great heartache that I had to tear it all back down and go grab a smaller pump. I will get into specifics later right now I need some rest. Here is the pics. I'll take better full tank shots tomorrow.

IMG_0977-1.jpg[/img]

IMG_0979.jpg[/img]

IMG_0999.jpg[/img]

IMG_1003.jpg[/img]

IMG_1005.jpg[/img]

IMG_1009.jpg[/img]

IMG_1010.jpg[/img]

IMG_0987.jpg[/img]

Thanks for looking

Shane

Are you running a Durso standpipe?

Monty the tank I purchased came with factory standpipes, but in essence they are "Durso" like.

I'm glad to see those anthias are doing good. They are a beautiful fish. And nice Scoly too!

Thanks Isaac yes they are beautiful, but no match for "Sludge" the black blenny. He has set himself up on the highest rock and rules all he surveys. (king)

Hmmm! I wonder were the scoly came from?!? :D Yes when the scoly grows up it will definitely be the center of attraction.

• 1 month later...

Update

Haven't updated in awhile so here it is.

I have been fighting higher than usual nitrates so I added in a refugium. I did not have room in my sump so I plumbed in one externally. I had a old 10 gal. lying around so I drilled it for use. It is fed from the return and gravity feeds back to the sump. Here are some pics.

NewAquarium004.jpg[/img]

NewAquarium012.jpg[/img]

NewAquarium014.jpg[/img]

I have also redone the lighting. I originally used four 48" VHO bulbs but it was way to crowded. So I swapped out the VHO for two 36" T-5's. Much more spacious and organized. I also added in two SLS reflectors. I really like the new lighting. We shall see how the coral like it. Here are some pics.

NewAquarium005.jpg[/img]

NewAquarium007.jpg[/img]

NewAquarium008.jpg[/img]

NewAquarium010.jpg[/img]

Shane

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Cipdit

Shanes 90gal Build

really looking superb so far on the build. What are the plans for this tank? Mixture of corals or dominated by a specific type?

• 5 months later...
Really nice tank, Shane! Gotta feeling that being in the Coast Guard and reef aquariums that you have an affinity for the ocean?

Thank you for the compliment. Growing up I always wanted to be a Marine Biologist, but that just wasn't in the cards for me. Coast Guard offered me a way out of Great Falls, MT and a chance to be close to the water so here I am 20 years later.