Shane's 90gal Build

USCG CWO

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(laugh)

Mike I was using an oil based glossy black from Lowes. The paint guy said that it would give a more durable finish after it cured for three weeks. Man, this paint dried so fast, there was no smoothing the brush strokes out. Really horrible paint. I have done some research and I am going to use a Latex Enamel and a paint sprayer.

Shane

You can try to thin out the oil based paint with thinner. It will make the paint easier to work with but it will take extra coats, (probably), to cover. And you course it will be a little more messy. Latex will surely be easier to work with if you do go that route.

Oh my god' date=' there's a MAGNET STORE here in PDX?!?! You really shouldn't have told me that... I'm gonna put magnets on everything in my house. I'm gonna magnet the [language filter] dog so it doesn't hog the foot of the bed at night![/quote']

(laugh)(laugh)(laugh) Dang Andy, I love the way you think! Now where are those cats???

Oh my god, there's a MAGNET STORE here in PDX?!?! You really shouldn't have told me that... I'm gonna put magnets on everything in my house. I'm gonna magnet the [language filter] dog so it doesn't hog the foot of the bed at night!

(clap)(laugh) Andy you crack me up. NW Magnets sells a 200 lb 1 1/2" for $30. Mike "The Saint" and I were dicussing how we could use these to super wedgie our kids to the ceilings. (laugh):D(naughty)

You can try to thin out the oil based paint with thinner. It will make the paint easier to work with but it will take extra coats, (probably), to cover. And you course it will be a little more messy. Latex will surely be easier to work with if you do go that route

I tried thinning the paint twice. It was almost like the paint hardened faster. I think I just got a bad can. So I am off the Harbor Freight to purchase a HVLP paint sprayer, air regulator, and oil/water seperator to hook up to my compressor, plus a new can of gloss latex.

I read somewhere they were going to phase out oil based paint in favor of latex. Not sure if that is true, but using water to clean up v mineral spirits is easier on the hands. :D

Thank the lord for paint sprayers!!! After sanding the stand back down to a smooth finish, I applied several coats of Interior/Exterior Gloss Black Acrylic Enamel using my new paint gun from Harbor Freight. Worked like a champ.

IMG_0898.jpg[/img]

IMG_0901.jpg[/img]

After this dries for awhile I will apply several coats of polyacrylic protective coat.

Oh and my new 120mm fans and fan grills are the way. Ordered them yesterday from Frozen CPU.

Pic of the fan grills.

flc-kik-90.jpg[/img]

Shane

post-3171-141867743451_thumb.jpg

SWEET STUFF! you are definitely doing this right! Beautiful stands and hood, and those fan grills are pretty rad. Definitely refreshing to see a well thought out stand and hood. It makes sense when you consider how much is invested into the tanks....

Great Job

Update

(sick)I am so sick and tired of sanding, priming, and painting, and sanding and painting, and sanding, (puke)(crazy)well you get the idea. I am almost done so here are a few pics.

This is the finished front side of the canopy

IMG_0918.jpg[/img]

Here is the painted stand. Now I just need to finish applying the polyacrylic.

IMG_0923.jpg[/img]

Painted back half of the canopy. Just needs poly coat.

IMG_0920.jpg[/img]

And here are the fans and fan grills that I ordered. These fit in the back half of the canopy.

IMG_0925.jpg[/img]

IMG_0927.jpg[/img]

Hopefully soon I can get to work on actually mounting the lights and getting everything ready for setup day.

Thanks for looking.

Oh my god' date=' there's a MAGNET STORE here in PDX?!?! You really shouldn't have told me that... I'm gonna put magnets on everything in my house. I'm gonna magnet the [language filter] dog so it doesn't hog the foot of the bed at night![/quote']

WOW Do you have to compete for that spot!!!!!!!!! LMAO

Major Set Back

Well I have had a major set back in this project, and it was all my fault really. I was painting the back of the aquarium and I placed a Halgen light inside the aquarium so I could see where I had missed. DOH!DOH! Well the difference in the air temp between the garage and the inside of the aquarium caused the glass where I had drilled for the return to spider about ten inches out from the hole in a millon directions. (sad)

But with set backs comes time for rejoicing. I figured someone wanted me to put a bigger tank on this stand so I am looking to go 90 gallon instead of 75. I am really looking at the 90 gallon Oceanic Tech Series. I should know within a a week or so. I will keep you updated.

****If anyone is interested in picking up my old 75 and using it for parts or to fix and use themselves, please PM me. It is free. I don't have the knowledge, skills, or would I trust myself to fix it. I'll keep it until I get the new one in (couple of weeks) then I'll put it in the dump.****

Shane

Hey Shane nice work. If the 90 Tech is too much (they are pricey) think about buying a Perfecto Cornerflo tank. They use black silicone like the tech which is really nice on a reef tank. They use a corner overflow which saves space also. They arent as sweet looking as the Techs (overflow design mainly) but they come very close for half the price. Good luck.

Hey Shane,

I heard you were eying that 90 gallon starfire tank at Bobs this weekend. I can see why... one of those would be awesome with that stand/canopy you put together. I couldn't bring myself to ask how much though :D Good luck finding a new tank - can't wait to see your system put together - you have been doing a great job on all the design work so far!

Sean

Hey Shane nice work. If the 90 Tech is too much (they are pricey) think about buying a Perfecto Cornerflo tank. They use black silicone like the tech which is really nice on a reef tank. They use a corner overflow which saves space also. They arent as sweet looking as the Techs (overflow design mainly) but they come very close for half the price. Good luck.

Thanks for the heads up on the Pefecto tanks Ryan. I hadn't seen those. Depending on Oceanics cost I may have to go that route. Now that I have seen the Perfecto's I like them better than AGA's. I really like the balck silicone. Much sexier in my opinion.

I heard you were eying that 90 gallon starfire tank at Bobs this weekend. I can see why... one of those would be awesome with that stand/canopy you put together. I couldn't bring myself to ask how much though Good luck finding a new tank - can't wait to see your system put together - you have been doing a great job on all the design work so far!

Sean

Thanks Sean! I love Bob's tank. If I would of had the cash in hand I think I would have stole that tank from him. As it is I will have to wait and see what he can come up with. Here's keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to sell one of my kidney's on the black market.

Shane

• 1 month later...

So a month or so ago I cracked the 75 gal I was going to upgrade to. Well after much deliberation I settled on the 90 gallon Oceanic Tech Series Tank. I settled on the 90 because its has the same foot print as the 75 so I won't have to redo my DIY stand and canopy. I love this tank. I can not wait to get it running.

IMG_0952.jpg[/img]

Test fitting the doors

IMG_0949.jpg[/img]

IMG_0950.jpg[/img]

I'll have more as I move into plumbing and finish up on the doors.

Thanks for looking

Shane

Nice job on the stand and top. I am currently building a oak stand and hood for my new 210. I love the idea of being able to slide the lights in and out but from my experience I would think those rails would rust up very quickly. (scratch) Have you gave this any thought? I would love to steal your idea if it wont rust out.

I would love to steal your idea if it wont rust out.

Mike I purposely bought the black powder coated ones for just that reason. I figure the bearings are well lubricated, and in a worse case senerio it really isn't that hard to take that tray out if I need to.

If you want to steal away, I "tactically acquired" the idea from someone else.

The only issues I have are with leaving enough cabling to move it back and forth without them getting in the water. That problem is still a work in progress.

Nice tank you got

Thank you Monty. When it is set up and running you will have to come check it out.

Shane