Acrylic or Glass

Benny503

I currently have acrylic but I by FAR prefer Glass. I tried to get a starphire glass tank but the prices locally where way out of line for a glass box, I settled for Acrylic, still looks great but you have to be very careful and scraping the glass is a nightmare, I miss my stainless blade scrapers.

I wish I had glass for my school big tank. Yesterday I had another kid put a long scratch in it from the mag scraper. Can't get mad because she thought she was being helpful but did not notice gravel stuck between scraper and magnet. Definitely go glass. Only draw back I know of is weight and usually you only move your tank once..............or twice hopefully.

Acrylic holds more water under pressure but can become bowed just ask Joel at waves about his frag tank he had to add braces too! and also if your planing on keeping urchins long spine or any others they will scratch the acrylic while eating the algea off the walls of the tank. nothing beats a good rimless glass tank anyhow!

Long spine I have heard of but my urchins dont hurt the tank' date=' I think its just long spine... at least I can say rock boring and tuxedo do not scratch acrylic in my experience.[/quote']

well I go along with that to a point but I had a tuxedo pick up a rock on its side and drag it across my tank and put a two inch scratch down it! god I was pissed(enforcer)