damn spywares!

vanz

Ummmm...See my post from the thread right below this one (whistle) The Mac has NONE of these issues! IMO this is what sucks about windoze. Having a UNIX based operating system that is secure, stable and virtually virus free is what makes OS X so great. I've had my current Mac for over three years. It has totally locked up on me exactly ONE time that required a reboot. I leave it running 24/7, reboot about once a month just 'cause I want to, and it never crashes.

If everyone threw away their windoze boxes and switched to a Mac, we would have world peace, no hunger anywhere, a balanced budget and gold paved streets. :D

Let the flames begin.......:D

Macs do have their place. Unfortunately, they suffer from lack of application compatiblity, lack of gaming support, lack of hardware upgradibility, and seriously are overpriced. Besides.....PCs and their buggy O.S. keep me employed. ;)

Since Macs have been around for 25 years and still haven't quite "caught on", I don't see that happening any time soon. Unfortunately this often happens when a company chooses to use such proprietary equipment and charge a premium for it. I also question the future of Apple with the absence of Steve Jobs.

Linux is actually a good compromise since you can use pretty much any hardware, it's a reasonably priced O.S. (usually free), and is also immune to most spyware and viruses. However, this O.S. also suffers from application compatibility lack of gaming support. But Linux vs. Microsoft is another topic...

Luckily most of my work is done is on servers. Desktop support requirements for us went down dramatically with the release of Windows 2000 and XP. Avoiding spyware, virus, malware, etc infections in a corporate environment is easy.....limit administrator access to users. Home users should do the same thing. No need to run as administrator all the time.

That reminds me. Vanz, it would be a good idea to create a user that doesn't have administrator access. For your general usage, log in as that user and do your daily stuff. Only log in as a user with administrator access when you need to install programs or other tasks that require elevated privileges. This will drastically reduce the amount of spyware you get in the future. I also recommend using Firefox instead of Internet Explorer and run adblock plus (it's an addon for Firefox) and you'll hardly get any popups or ads.

Hey good idea Dave, didn't think about just creating another user account. I've always only had the 1.

I haven't had time to mess with the wireless, I'll do it tonight.

I've been also thinking about getting a mac laptop, but don't really want to spend that much during this economic time, and also, may wait until they release snow leopard. I use a pre-intel mac at work...soo many bugs...haven't tried the intel ones yet so I'm not sure how stable it is.

Oh come on, of course Macs have "caught on" -- they're present in the vast majority of the Fortune 500 and are frequently at or near the top of the laptop sales charts. Apple and the Mac are as mainstream as Windows.

Sure, they'll never overtake Windows' market numbers, but that doesn't mean they haven't "caught on"

and I share your concern about a Jobs-less Apple.

• 2 weeks later...
It sounds like that card is a re-badged Linksys. Try this driver:

http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=7172

So i got off my lazy a$$ and tried to work on the wireless. I downloaded it and not sure what you are suppose to do with the files. There's no installer. Another link was provided with an installer....but saw that there were many bad comments saying it's missing files...

So i got off my lazy a$$ and tried to work on the wireless. I downloaded it and not sure what you are suppose to do with the files. There's no installer. Another link was provided with an installer....but saw that there were many bad comments saying it's missing files...

That zip file just contains the necessary drivers. It's not an installer. Try this:

Extract the files to a location on your hard drive

Control panel, system, device manager and find the wireless adapter, right-click and select the properties

Go to the driver tab, and click the update driver button

Browse to the files you extracted and it should load them

Let's take a step back. What do you use the laptop for?

I use to use the laptop for school...but now it's just my browsing machine. I don't want it wired all the time because my den is in the garage and the router is in the kitchen.

That zip file just contains the necessary drivers. It's not an installer. Try this:

Extract the files to a location on your hard drive

Control panel, system, device manager and find the wireless adapter, right-click and select the properties

Go to the driver tab, and click the update driver button

Browse to the files you extracted and it should load them

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home. You (rock2)

You bet! Best part is you know how to reload Windows the next time it gets bad.

I'd suggest running some of the free spyware scanners once or twice a month as a preventative measure though. Also make sure you have a virus scanner installed and do weekly scans with it.

The reason I asked you what you use it for is there are alternatives to Windows. If you just use it as an Internet browsing computer, you might consider some flavor of Linux. That's what I run on my laptop. No more spyware. ;)

You bet! Best part is you know how to reload Windows the next time it gets bad.

I'd suggest running some of the free spyware scanners once or twice a month as a preventative measure though. Also make sure you have a virus scanner installed and do weekly scans with it.

The reason I asked you what you use it for is there are alternatives to Windows. If you just use it as an Internet browsing computer, you might consider some flavor of Linux. That's what I run on my laptop. No more spyware. ;)

I'm not at all familiar with using Linux. Friend in college before always talked about linux this, linux that....just disregarded because he made it sound too complicated...plus he was the more paranoid schizo type. I'll look into it, thanks!

Or Firefox with the NoScript extension enabled at the very least.

Just did that, thanks! I see that there are tons of other add-ons for firefox. All this time I just used firefox as a web browser, and nothing else.