I have a purple foot anemone too!

dsoz

I stayed home from work today sick. I have no voice, so it would be pointless for me to go to work and try to not talk all day long. In between sleeping in and taking my nap I decided to surgically extract my new anemone from the rock that it was in. I went slow, and it took about 45 minutes, and breaking the rock in half. But she finally came out of the rock. Once she was out, I saw that she had a purple foot.

But since I know that you all are into carnage, let's get to the pics.

about 2 minutes after surgery was over I took a break to take this shot.

IMG_4428b.jpg

about 10 minutes later she looked like this

IMG_4430b.jpg

This evening this is how she looks.

IMG_4431b.jpg

I am going to give her until Saturday to recover from this surgery before I do my next surgery on her... A bilateral incision through the entire body. Rest well young patient. You're going to need it.

dsoz

• Like 1

Nice!

Where did yours come from?

Jason at CRPC sold me the entire rock. It had some palys, hydnophora, and the RBTA. :)

For the price I paid, I think I "stole" it from him. Thanks again Jason.

Doran- send cards only if they contain cash.

Brian- you can be my assistant. I am looking for someone better looking to be my nurse (sorry, you are not my type) :)

dsoz

No, I got anxious and did the deed Wednesday night. I did take before and after pictures. I will post them later this weekend.

Patients are recovering well from the surgery. The cut is not healing as well as I would like, but the anemone was very large and closing up seemed like there was a lot of problems lining up straight. But both clones are bubbling up nicely. I will give it another week or so before I start feeding them. Then probably by the end of March there will be another round of surgery. Two will become four! :)

dsoz

dsoz

Picture of the patient/victim before the procedure.

IMG_4434b.jpg

On the "operating table" letting out a little bit of water.

IMG_4436b.jpg

Post-op.

IMG_4437b.jpg

recovery ICU (bucket to let them "slime up" in)

IMG_4442b.jpg

recovery room

IMG_4443b.jpg

Visitors allowed. (notice foot sticking out. If you look closely, you can see the scar)

IMG_4454b.jpg

I will give her about two to three weeks to heal before I consider cutting them up again. Both clones are healing well, and have already had their first meal of a small piece of silverside. I am looking to get close to 20 of them in this tank before summer starts. I think that would be really cool. Then I will need to replace the dominoes with some maroon clowns. :)

dsoz

I like the Dominoes!

I wonder if they're less aggressive than the Maroons. :)

Did you use a razorblade? Looks like a good cut.

I kinda like the dominoes myself, the contrast between black and red just makes them pop out. I hope that they should be fine with only a pair of them in a 40b. There is also a lawnmower blenny in there, and I was thinking of getting a 6-line for the tank as well. I am even considering having all the sand in the sump and having a sand-sifting goby in the sump to keep it clean.

No, I did not use a razor blade. If you don't tell my wife, I used a kitchen steak knife. We have this set of really nice knives that we got as a gift. One of those that is only slightly wavy, but is sharper than all get out, and does not get dull easily. It sliced right through the anemone like a hot knife through butter. One cut from center to outside, turn 180 degrees then cut again from center to outside.

Doran- I was going to let them rest for another two or three weeks to heal, so probably near the first of April (no foolin'). They are both "very large" and are big enough to cut, but I think that it would be too much trauma for them to do any sooner. I want the first cut to heal before subjecting them to another round. Don't worry, I'll take pictures and post them when it is time.

dsoz

• 2 weeks later...

both clones are healed up nicely, and are eating chunks of silversides. :)

I recently got a pair of maroons from Kilmca, and they have taken to hosting the clones. It is fun to watch, but the dominoes that are in there are sad now.

I am going to wait until after spring break to cut them again. That is about a month post-op. We are going on a small trip for part of spring break, and I don't want to leave an injured animal home without supervision. If one starts to die, I want to be there to remove it ASAP.

dsoz

• 3 weeks later...
Any new news?

Sorry, no new pictures, but as of yesterday, the twins became triplets. I took one of the clones and again cut it in half. I didn't do both because I didn't want too many injured animals in my tank at one time. Also, I didn't want to take all the anemones away from the pair of maroon clowns that I got for the tank. I will let the newest cut anemones heal for a couple of weeks, then cut the other half from the original cut. Then I will be set up to cut every other week. Once I get several clones going, I can again split the groups so that there are a few cut every week.

According to the research that I have done, the clones should be able to be cut every other week. I think that it is reasonable to let them grow some more and cut them once a month. At one month, they have been eating for a couple of weeks, and are almost as large as the mother clone was. The healing powers of these creatures is amazing.

fakkzz- If you can wait a couple of months, I'll be able to sell you one of these clones. :) If they can survive my surgery, they can survive almost anything.

dsoz

That would be great! I'm not ready for a few weeks anyways. I want to get everything just right before I start any large scale stocking! The water is looking great. I want to get some new test kits to make sure. (Making my lists and checking it twice for that LFS shopping day ) Do another BIG water change just to be safe. And replace the last few bulbs I don't know dates on. After I know the tank is thriving I'd love to talk to you about these. The corals have grown already in just 6 weeks so I think another 4 and well be good.

I had always been affraid of anemones cause they move but the RBTA sounds amazing. This time I'm going a whole new route. I love this forum cause you get more than one opinion vs. reading online from someone who probably never had a tank even :) I really appriciate seeing your pictures splitting them! and being able to talk to the person doing it is even better!

I want to get a few more clones before I start selling them off. If you can wait a couple of months for me to get my broodstock up that would be great.

I don't recommend an anemone in a mixed reef. They can walk around and sting any coral they come in contact with (except mushrooms and xenia tend to be OK, maybe even zoas).

I am keeping the anemones in an anemone only tank, but my plan is to get somewhere near 20 anemones in a 40g tank! It will be so cool! Throw in a pair of maroon clowns, and I have my dream tank.

dsoz

I am keeping the anemones in an anemone only tank, but my plan is to get somewhere near 20 anemones in a 40g tank! It will be so cool! Throw in a pair of maroon clowns, and I have my dream tank.

dsoz

The clowns will probably go crazy trying to decide which one to host! This one, no wait, that one, no wait... how about the one over there (nutty)

Congrats on the RBTA success Dennis! I'm not nearly brave enough to start cutting mine up.