LOOKING FOR FEED BACK ON ELECTRONIC 400WT BALLAST AND RADIUM BULBS

CCR

Has anyone compared the lumenmax elite mogul reflector to the lumenarc ?????????? It will be going over a 210

The Lumenmax Elite Penetrates deeper than the Lumenarc.

The full sized Lumenarc has better spread but it is 19" x 19"

The Elite is 15" x 15".

I replaced a Lumenarc mini(14" x 14") with an Elite, it is much brighter.

If you're trying to spread out more than 24" x 24" then the full size Lumenarc is the ticket.

For a 210(30" tall) you want the Elite

I run 400 watt radiums on coralvue dimmable ballasts with lumenbright reflectors and love the color. I like my tank pretty blue though, and I run 2 6' and 2 2' VHO actinic with the radiums. I am going to start playing around with my par meter, a kill-a-watt, and the dimmer switch on the ballast to tweak them....if I ever get some free time,lol.

No, I don't think these are the ones patrick has... I think most of his are PFO ballasts. These don't monitor heat, they just have a dimmer knob that can adjust the power output from -15 to +15%, so you can underdrive or overdrive bulbs. I have found that the color can dramatically change with power output. The 400w radiums burn a real blue if used on normal electronic ballasts, but can be made more white with an increase in power...this is essentially what HQI ballast do, overdrive them.

What size tank are they going to run on? I would have done my 24" tall tank completely different from the start if I had the chance. The reflectors these days like the lumenbright and lumenmax elite are so good and putting all the par towards the water, people can get away with 250w where they used to have to use 400's. I have my 400s about 28" from the water surface and still get about 400 par on the bottom! This is great because I get little heat transfer to the water, but it is a bit overkill. If I decide to change, I would use the 250s with electronic ballasts.

I have a 250w radium running on a coralvue ballast on my 70 gallon frag tank and the colors are by far the best I have ever seen! The 250 radiums are probably the best bulb on the market, and they are made to run at 250w, not a weird wattage like the 400w radium only designed to run at 360 watts. The colors are just outstanding and I dont have to use actinic supplementation.

HTH

Interesting information. The tank is 30"tall and I will have a ton of acro's so leaning to 400w, but I must say 250w hqi is an interesting thought. As money is a big issue, it equated to the lime needed to gather the equipment. I'm not in a hurry. Just have to plan it right. So deciding on the "right one" is the most important. I will also be running 2 actinic and 2 super white run with 2 660's. I have pretty much all the other equipment but lighting. I LOVED my PFO's400w hqi but way toooooooo much heat and power u sedge.

If you are ever in vancouver you are welcome to stop by my house and see the difference between 250s run on electronic and 400s run on electronic with or without actinic supplement. All of my bulbs are in the large lumenbright reflectors. I cant say enough good things about the new reflectors and how well they get the par to the bottom.

I could make you a killer deal on 400w ballasts and bulbs and downgrade to 250s, lol.

Mike

If you are ever in vancouver you are welcome to stop by my house and see the difference between 250s run on electronic and 400s run on electronic with or without actinic supplement. All of my bulbs are in the large lumenbright reflectors. I cant say enough good things about the new reflectors and how well they get the par to the bottom.

I could make you a killer deal on 400w ballasts and bulbs and downgrade to 250s, lol.

Mike

What brand are the ballasts, the 400 and age?