New Skimmer!

Ron Popeil

im looking for a new protein skimmer. i havent researched skimmers in quite a long time and want to pull from my local pool of personal experience.

my system is roughly 125 gallons. i have a heavy bioload with large anemones and hungry fish. currently im running a recirc modded ASMG4. i feel like i can do better.

lets say my budget is $500.

pick me a skimmer that is essentially plug and play. ideally i dont want to have to get a skimmer and mod it, or fiddle with the impeller so that it burns the pump out every year.

suggestions? experiences?

I think that they recently stopped using mesh and are sticking with the pinwheel.

They had too many customers unhappy with the mesh.

Nothing wrong with those skimmers either. I just like the reliability of the Eheim. If the extreme or MSX came with an Eheim I'd be all over it!

go with a MSX extreme 250... for less than $400 shipped you have a skimmer that will skim the crap out of your 125, literally! They are pre-ordering the mini cones which will be powered by the same pumps the msx 250 for $499. The cones are definately winning the skim-offs lately when they are put head to head with traditional.

I haven't heard anything about msx stopping meshing their wheels.

Mike

There is growing evidence (http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature2) that there's less difference between skimmers than one might expect. Spending a lot more might get you little or no improvement.

I have been reading that as well.

1 thing I can tell you is that there are HUGE differences in the way a skimmer performs.

My sticking point is that I want a skimmer that does a GREAT job with little to no "tweaking" to get it to perform consistently.

Shoot, I have a Red Sea Prizm that works AWESOME. But it didn't come that way from the factory.

I think the recent "innovations" to skimmer designs are a good thing.

I don't doubt that Protein skimming is only taking out approx. 30% of protiens in any system. I just want that 30% to be consistent.

after a bit of looking around, some of the names that seem to have the stamp of reliability are the:

msx 250

octopus extreme

bubble king mini 180

and there seems to be growing interest in the i tech skimmers, but i think thats only because theyre a reasonably priced cone skimmer....

I agree. There are some really crappy skimmers out there... necks too narrow, difficult to dial in and keep that way, etc. But based on that article, there isn't much difference between a dialed-in air driven skimmer and a beckett. And if there isn't a difference between *those* two I have a hard time accepting that there'll be a big improvement due to cones. Maybe there will be; hopefully someone tests more contemporary skimmers using the methodology. But it'd have to be a hell of a big difference to warrant the cost IMO.