Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria)

USCG CWO

I will have a phos reactor in my new tank - I have been told the two little fishies is the best to get.

Hey Kris, things going ok here - a bit of a tough week for the family as we have received a few rounds of tragic / bad news this week, but life goes on. I will be at the next meeting at Mcmenimans - are you going? Are things good with you?

I just purchased the "Two Little Fishes" phosphate reactor...Tomorrow, I will hook er' up! Off to the hardware store, again...they do know be by name now! Also, big shout out to my mas...she bought me a cool feather duster today!

I am definately going to head out to the meet and greet this Sunday at 6pm...who else is coming? I have nothing to trade but would love anything that anyone wants to trim back or get rid of!

Kris

Kris let me know how the reactor works. I just bought two of the Little Fishes reactors, but one is still on order. I am going to run carbon, and Phosban. Hopefully that will be the end of my slime issues.

I don't like medicating but I used Red Seas slime remover and it has worked like a charm, but now I am not getting any polyp extension or inflation. I am conducting a major water change today, hooking up carbon, and doing a general all around tank cleaning. Hopefully they will get back to being happy.

I picked up the medium today....spendy stuff at the LFS, but hopefully it will last for 60 days or so. I will look into Drs foster and smith to see what type of medium they sell and for their prices. I am hooking up today, using a maxi jet power head. I plan on getting another unit and running carbon before the phosphate reactor...clear, clean phosphate free water...

Kris

Dunno what you picked up or where, but I've found the PhosLock works really well and has lasted me a long time. I've had a $25 jar for over 6 months, and it has done well on my 110. So, on that kind of timeline, it doesn't seem too spendy to me. My $0.02.

I picked up the medium today....spendy stuff at the LFS, but hopefully it will last for 60 days or so. I will look into Drs foster and smith to see what type of medium they sell and for their prices. I am hooking up today, using a maxi jet power head. I plan on getting another unit and running carbon before the phosphate reactor...clear, clean phosphate free water...

Kris

Dunno what you picked up or where' date=' but I've found the PhosLock works really well and has lasted me a long time. I've had a $25 jar for over 6 months, and it has done well on my 110. So, on that kind of timeline, it doesn't seem too spendy to me. My $0.02.[/quote']

Thanks for your $0.02! The place I went didn't have that available. You use the phoslock in your reactor?

Kris

Thanks for your $0.02! The place I went didn't have that available. You use the phoslock in your reactor?

Kris

I don't have a reactor. If you buy Phoslock, it comes with a fine mesh bag. I put a couple of tablespoons in the mesh bag (I think the recipe is 1tbs per 50g per month according to the label) and throw that in my filter sock. I have heard people talk about having problems with calcification (the media clumping together and precipitating calcium), but have not had any trouble with that myself. Preventing that clumping and calcification is the main reason (far as I have heard) for using a reactor - it keeps the media tumbling all the time. Since that has not been a problem for me, I have not bothered with a reactor. I figured I would try it the simple way first, and lay out the cash for a reactor only if necessary. So far so good. ;)