Hydroponics

vanz

Just wondering if anyone on here is into gardening as well. I'm trying to develop a system that doesn't require a lot of maintenance...seeing as the reason why my plants don't make it is because I forget to water them.

Anyone has any experience they want to share? I've searched a bit on google and youtube, and just trying to add bits and pieces together.

I have done this before, Get a five gallon bucket and a pot that will fit in the top but not go in very far then you hang a length of cotton rope or a fabric material of the sort out of the bottom of the pot.Let this hang down into the bucket which is half full of water, The rope or fabric will act as a wick and draw water as it is needed by the plant.Just re-fill the bucket when needed.This worked pretty well for me.

I've sorta read about that one. I'm not sure why I didn't look into it any further, but it had something to do with crystalizing on the wick that prevents nutrients from going up.

So why did you stop?

Right now, I'm thinking of an ebb and flow system. It'll be something like our overflow system we have in our reef tanks.

haha, ok got it.

well, I just went and picked up some parts for my ebb system. Had the hardest time at Lowes trying to find parts. I'm just going to make a half assed system for now until I know what I'm doing, then i'll get better parts.

You know airoponic's is good too. I too had a homemade hydro system for a while there. I took gravel from a fish store and put it into those window planters (the long narrow ones with the holes on the bottom) and suspended it over a cooler. Filled cooler about halfway with water and miracle grow for the beginning, planted seeds in gravel and put pump in cooler. Used hose and spray bar and mounted over planter. Water would spray onto planter, run through, drop down through holes on bottom of planter,and cycle back up. Hope this helps. You can find several books on both hydro and airoponic's that you may find usefull.

You know airoponic's is good too. I too had a homemade hydro system for a while there. I took gravel from a fish store and put it into those window planters (the long narrow ones with the holes on the bottom) and suspended it over a cooler. Filled cooler about halfway with water and miracle grow for the beginning' date=' planted seeds in gravel and put pump in cooler. Used hose and spray bar and mounted over planter. Water would spray onto planter, run through, drop down through holes on bottom of planter,and cycle back up. Hope this helps. You can find several books on both hydro and airoponic's that you may find usefull.[/quote']

Yeah, I researched aeroponics too. I'll see how my ebb works, and if I get good at it, I might just do several types of systems to see which works better.

I'm also contemplating a fog system. I heard it's the best.