Where to get new tanks in PNW

gradth

Just wondering where people get there large tanks in the Portland Vancouver area.

All the main places I have been told about are no where local.

Im looking to upgrade to 150-200 tank. Have not decided on glass or acrylic yet.

Is there any place local?

Thanks.

Let me first say welcome to the boards. Second there are a couple of places within reasonable driving distance. If you click on the homepage and go to our sponsers links you can get directions.

Local there are The Fish Tank People, Seahorse, Saltwater-Fantseas, Rose City Aquarium, and Waves. All of these are excellant stores and would treat you right.

The Fish Tank People are web based, but Doran lives in Orchards so is the closest to Vancouver. Not sure if he has any tanks in stock, but he is a board member for this club and goes by the user name "Defigart". So you could PM him and ask. Otherwise...........

The rest have physical stores and are within 20-25 minutes driving distance. Well worth the drive.

Again welcome

Shane

I know my next tank is going to be a Marineland Deep Dimension Starfire tank, check them out. Gorgeous tank, perfect dimensions IMO.

Here's a link: any LFS should be able to order it. I'm getting the 200gal.

http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=3600&mid=3228

Great minds think alike!!!(naughty)When i upgrade i will be doing the same thing (if not a 3' cube).

Wow thanks for all the input. Thanks for the welcome also, been lurking for quite some time.

Ive see the Envisions, very nice and very spendy it seems.

I was looking at glasscages.com but the shipping out here would be ridiculous.

I will take a look at the sponsor list and see what I can come up with.

Anyone know what a good price on a tank would be? In the 180 gal area. Ive seen prices all over the place in what I have found so far.

I know theres a place that builds acrylic tanks on 78th and St. Johns, in Vancouver. I dont know anything about them, just saying that they're there.

Doran

NO NO NO thats all I have to say on that one.

If going acrylic talk to James as he is the best out there and local. If looking for a stock tank go talk to Isaac at Seahorse he has alot of bigger True View acrylic tanks that are nice. There is a sweet looking 125 in there that the footprint is killer looking. He also has a used Envision tank that is awsome looking but will only work in a certain area as it has only one viewable side. And last in the acryli dept. if looking for a cube type go see Patrick at SW Fantaseas he has the best looking cube set up around in there. It is a complete set up that is used and built by Envision again it is 48x48 I think maybe a little smaller not sure. But it is a killer set up wish I had the room.

If going with glass (best choice if you ask me:D) then go see Joel at Waves. Not sure how big he will go but you can not beat a starfire glass tank in any way(rock2) It will be custom built to your dimensions and will look awsome. Now if looking for just stock glass tank all the LFS can order the Marinlands and AGAs who is now another company I think. I know Patrick at SWF has a marineland in there now for a customer and it looks like a nice tank.

Good luck in your decision and welcome to the board(rock2) Once you get a tank post up and I can get you some frags to get you going as I am local to you.

Im not opposed to used either, just have not found much.

Im looking for about a 180 72 x 24 x 25 or 96 x 18 x 25, not tied to that, but just what I have seen that I like. Im planning a sort of in wall build, viewable from both sides.

Im guessing its gonna be spendy and the wife says I have to wait a bit,(wife) but I still want to have things in order when I do.

I was at seahorse yesterday and saw the couple 125's he had in there and they were pretty nice. Issac always seems helpful whenever im in there. Ill have to hit him up for some prices.

Was also at Fantaseas today and saw a few tanks there, but since its almost impossible to talk to someone there on the weekends I didnt bother asking about them. Dont really want a cube anyway.

Thanks for the input thus far folks. Ill keep my eyes out.

Just make yourself known at any LFS on the weekend(laugh) They are always busy so you just need to put you foot down and say something. I know SWF can be hectic at times but there are a few good people working there on the weekend. I was at Seahorse today and it was busy but not enough for Isaac and Cheri (sorry on the sp I know its wrong(laugh)) to say hi to everyone. Also look on Craigslist sorry to say it but in this economy alot of people are having to downsize. There were a few 180s for sale up north that went for cheap it was sad.

I am pretty sure Joel has built a larger tank than my 60g cube. After having a few Acrylic tanks I would HIGHLY suggest the starphire glass. Although Acrylic has better insulating properties, it scratches too easily for my taste!

Good luck and whatever you decide on - post some pictures of it!

I have gotten a few tanks at Waves, all though they are smaller then what you are looking for. I know Joel has made larger glass tanks then a 60g but to find out if he can help you out, just call him. He's not so bad to talk to. ;)

Oh, IMO on a tank that size, go glass. Acrylis is a pain to clean. It's a difference of using a magnet to clean your tank every fed days, or taking off the canopy and sticking your arm in there. Never again will I go acrylic, unless it's free, or I am poor, or I happen to, ya I have a problem.

Also, rethink your width. If viewable from both sides you will have a very narrow loaf of rock in the middle. Need room between the rock and glass on both sides. I had a 30" wide room divider and when I went to 36" I liked it much better. 18" would be bad, 24"better, 30"good, 36" best.

Where I have it planned might be kinda hard for 36", I wanted long because everyone has said you need long for tangs. Im a tang lover and really want to have a mostly tang type tank with lots of swimming room. Like I said im not tied to my in wall build, just kinda like the idea of it. biggest problem is I would have to have it all plumbed below since I dont have a "fish room" to build it out of.

If you are clever and use some kind of structure to hold your live rock (maybe acrylic rods with drilled live rock), I think you could get by with a narrower tank and still have room for tangs swimming on both sides -- I think it'll look great (I love tangs as well and hope to do something similar someday).