GFO/phosban/rowa phos in compartment 2 or 3 in solana

jason7504

im going to put filter floss on the drip tray over the fuge in the 2nd compartment but i dont know if i will have room to squeeze a bag of GTO/phosban/rowa phos along side the filter floss..so i was thinking i could put it in compartment 3 with the return pump. would that work? or would it be better next to the filter floss in compartment 2?

I was told that phosphate removing media needed to be constantly moving so it does not harden into a brick and get channels.

Could you get a HOB reactor and put a small pump in your rear chamber?

I would think that with macroalgae and water changes you should be good for phosphates. Phosphate remover is usually for people with larger tanks that are lazy and don't do sufficient water changes. (no offence to anyone that falls into this category, like me :) ).

dsoz

I was told that phosphate removing media needed to be constantly moving so it does not harden into a brick and get channels.

I would think that with macroalgae and water changes you should be good for phosphates. Phosphate remover is usually for people with larger tanks that are lazy and don't do sufficient water changes. (no offence to anyone that falls into this category, like me :) ).

dsoz

well i dont want to use a HOB reactor because i will have a chiller and ATO. and dont want any more showing that i dont have too lol

ok well i will just watch the phosphates then and if they do rise i can toss some GFO in there :D

I was told the same thing, but have been running a bag full in my filter sock for months now without any such thing happening. Just change it out once/month or so and I never have any problems. FWIW I use Phoslock.

dsoz