Trapping a yellow tang

nanoreefer

As many of you know i've been keeping a yellow tang in my 29gal nano; had him for almost 2 years. I am so busy with so many things right now and don't see myself upgrading to a bigger tank anytime soon. So, I'm gonna let it go and find something that won't outgrow the tank. I spent two hours trying to catch him today with no success. I never thought I would hate this fish as much as I do now; only because the [language filter] thing is so sneaky and so good at avoiding getting caught(flame). Usually I can pet it with my fingers during feeding and now as it's GONE as soon as my hands get anywhere near the tank. HELP! Does anyone have any suggestion for catching this devil? or a fish trap i can borrow (I have a few things in the tank i can frag as a thank you (naughty))?

• Like 1

I think the net really freaks them out because it is new. When I've had to do something siilar before, I've put the net in the tank and left it there for hours/overnight so they get used to it a bit. That might give you a better - but still not great - chance of getting them. Might be worth a shot.

• Like 1

Good luck(laugh) You have seen my tank and my tangs and they run every time you walk up to the tankDOH! I need them gone but the only way is to tear the tank apart. I am not even sure if you have enought room in there for a fish trap? Good luck with the adventure!

• Like 1

I had a couple Blue Devil Damsels that I dealt with a month or so ago. I was about ready to throw a firecracker in my tank! (flame)

This is how I got them out:

Take a 2 liter Coke (or Pepsi) bottle an cut off the top 1/4.

Stand the bottle up in the tank and either weigh it down or wedge it between some rocks to keep it upright.

Shut off all the pumps and powerheads.

Drop some food right over the bottle so that it falls into the bottle.

The fish should follow it into the bottle and all you need to do is quickly snatch it up and voila! Caught fish!

You may want to starve the fish for a day or so so that it is really hungry.

Hope this helps.