Future of LED lighting?

darrellw

I like the idea of LED lighting, it's just the current implementation that I have problems with (and the associated claims). I look forward to the day we're all using LED fixtures.

RC has a couple of related threads:

One dealing with quality and warranty issues: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1563402&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

The other with this patent issue: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1567308

It'd be a real shame if the rumor about PFO going out of business is true. The US patent system is a CF of epic proportions. High tech companies have been giving and getting the shaft for a while now, it's painful to see it spilling over into our hobby.

I tend to agree, it seems like a crazy-broad patent (not unusual these days, unfortunately) -- but PFO has to have the money to defend themselves in court. If they were already taking a bath from Solaris quality problems they may not have had the cash to fight the suit.

If you have a patent like this unfortunately the government forces you to defend it. If you don't threaten and/or sue the companies that use your patented product without paying royalties, then the government will void your patent.

Its true and very sad.

Its unfortunately that PFO couldn't come up with a compromise.