New 250 watt MH, how many hours?

MadReefer

I just bought an odyssea 250 watt hqi light to replace a 96 watt PC light on my 20 gallon. It came with a 15,000K bulb. This is my first MH. I changed lights in the afternoon and then I ran the MH for 3.5 hours yesterday and everything seemed to like it. There are LEDs but no other lights on the tank now. I have heard that these ballasts are under powered. I was thinking about running the light for 7 hours and then adding a half hour every few days until I was up to 10-11 hours. I was just going to watch it very close, but I would really appreciate any suggestions on timing. Thanks.

Too fast. You should do this over several weeks. Raising the time very slowly. 10-11. hr. to long Way different light in all respect. Even start with the light higher off the water and watch very carefully. Also keep a close eye on the temp. A lot more heat!!!!

You should add some actinics, blues and a white then you can set your lighting and be able to enjoy your tank for 12 hrs while you start the MH at maybe 4- 5hrs then slowly increase it over a few weeks to 8hrs. This will give you more viewing time and also some different lighting during the cycle, like blue in the am, then white/blue, then white/blue/MH, then reverse it in the evening

That would be nice but there is not room for any more lighting. If I had more money to spend I would have built my own canopy and done a 150/250 MH with a couple of T5s.

The moon lights are bright and at night, when all light is off in the room, I can see very well into the tank. When other lights are on in the room, I can see pretty good everything in the tank.

congrats on the new light. i too have an odyssea fixture and love it, of course nothing is stock anymore. the ballasts are only powerful enough to power odyssea bulbs. i tried upgrading bulbs and had to buy new balllasts. went ahead and replaced the undersized wiring, and am thinking about replacing the reflectors, but dont know if i can find a good one that fits, the stock ones seem to be pretty good for the time being. i think you will be very happy with the new fixture. if you ever have a ballast die, you can replace it with a new brand, or if money is tight, i have 2 of them i would sell cheap. FYI, that GORGEOUS fish you have in there, is an arabian pseudochromis, and one of the meanest fish you will ever get. They will eat any clean up crew you have, shrimp, snails, hermits; and also beat up much larger fish. Just keep this in mind when stocking your tank.

Thanks for all the help and nice words.

I figured I might have to upgrade the ballast in a year or so. I didn't consider the wiring. Did you use 18 gauge wires?

The arabian is going to always be alone. I read that you have to put them with much bigger aggressive fish if you want to put them with anything. It is a pig of a fish. It cleaned out most of the amphipods in the tank the first week. Now it eats what I give it and then tries to still all the food I gave my corals. I have to distract it while the corals down their food.