cycle..

jason7504

Agreed on testing the water you buy. I was buying from a local shop a few years back and kept having algae problems. Turns out the new water had a nitrate or 40 and low alk and Ca.

I switched shops and get my water from Waves now, it's much better.

To know if your tank is cycled you have to be able to test for ammonia, you might need a new kit. I use cheapy's for it, just the API's. If there is any color change it is not done.

After you get it to drop to 0 and nitrite to drop to 0 it is important to purposefully raise the level of ammonia in the tank. IMO the easiest way to do this is to drop in a day or two's worth of fish food wait 12 hours, and then test again. If the tank can clear the ammonia and nitrite in that time, the tank is cycled. If not, your going to have to continue to introduce an ammonia source until the bacteria levels reach higher numbers so they can clear the ammonia.

Some people really prefer to use a chemical ammonia (pure and unscented) to raise the ammonia level so they know exactly how much is going in. It is a cleaner way of doing things as well since there is no decay.

It is a very common misconception that when your ammonia is zero your tank is cycled and ready to be stocked. It is not the case. Lack of ammonia just means there is no ammonia, it does not mean the tank can support life. A 10g tank with no rock or sand and newly mixed water should also have a 0 ammonia reading, does not mean it is cycled.

HHT

where do you get pure and unscented ammonia? any specific brands?

The problem with ammonia is correct dosing. How would you know how much to add to properly test your tank's ability to process nitrogenous wastes?

I think a whole shrimp would maybe be too much to expect a smaller tank to handle. Perhaps try half a cube of mysis?

thats the point. You want it to rot, and decay and turn into ammonia, that way you can see if you have enough bacteria to convert it into nitrite, then nitrate before the ammonia level has a chance to get to toxic levels. Hope that makes sense. Better to test it without some fish food rather than some beautiful fish and corals.

thats the point. You want it to rot' date=' and decay and turn into ammonia, that way you can see if you have enough bacteria to convert it into nitrite, then nitrate before the ammonia level has a chance to get to toxic levels. Hope that makes sense. Better to test it without some fish food rather than some beautiful fish and corals.[/quote']

ok i will try it. yeah that makes sense :)