The Grassi 14g Biocube

grassi

Hi all! I've been on the nano-reef forums for a while, and I'm so happy to find something more local (clap)

I have a 14g Biocube with about 21lbs LR. It was set up with 8lbs of LR and 5 Damsels for 6 months before I bought it.

The first livestock we added was a small CUC of 4 little snails and 2 scarlet hermits. Then we had added an emerald crab with the initial CUC, although later we found out he was evil as he pulled out my large feather duster and ripped him in half right in front of me and stalked all other living creatures in the tanks... :o needless to say he went back to the store!

We're having tons of fun looking at the LR everyday for new growths and hitchhikers, which has been really eventful! I'm now obsessed with identifying every HH we find...

Hitchhikers to date:

- peanut, spaghetti, and hair worms

- feather dusters (including many of white tubes and bright red/orange/pink "feathers")

- tons of brittle starfish

- pineapple sponges

- brachiopod (according to the identification section of the forum)

- Actinodiscus shroom (12/28/08)

- Stomatellas (4 so far)

- 3 Orange Ball Anemone (Pseudocorynactis)

Livestock (purchased): (not including stock in "quarantine/frag tank")

- Scarlet and Blue Leg Hermits, 7 snails

- Zoas, Polyps, Shrooms, and 12 ricordea

- Green Star Polyp

- Candy Cane

- Frogspawn

- Hammer (very neon!)

- Torch

- Pagoda Coral

- Duncans (2 varieties)

- Sun Coral

- ORA Birdsnest

- Rufus (giant!)

- 2 Ocellaris Clowns (local tank raised babies) "FISH" and "CHIPS"

Modifications:

- Koralia nano powerhead

- Hydor Flo Deflector

- Chaeto, Filter Floss, and LR rubble (took out bio balls and biobag filter)

- Maxi Jet 900

- Remora skimmer w/1200 maxi jet

- 16.5 inch Sunpod

Tank12081.jpg

12/09/08 - added 7lbs cured LR to what the tank came with

Tank122908.jpg

12/27/08 - after adding 4.5lbs more very cured LR and re-scaping

Tank010609copy.jpg

01/06/09 - after adding my frags and finishing the rockscaping (sorry for the crappy pic, hubby is traveling with the good camera!)

IMG_3465.jpg02/03/09 - busy month! Added two baby clowns, some frags, MJ 900, and a SUNPOD

IMG_3722.jpg

03/23/09 After too many changes and lessons to list! lol Feels like a real tank now... so happy!

• 1 month later...
Very cool. How often do you have to do water changes? I hear its a lot harder to keep the smaller tanks' date=' yours looks great.[/quote']

Thanks! (clap)

We do 10-20% once a week. Twice if we think we've been feeding a bit too much or did some fragging.. Sometimes 1% a day for a few days. Hubby is in charge of equipment and water changes so depends on how he thinks it's looking or based on how much the skimmer pulls out overnight.

I've never had a larger tank, so I couldn't say how much more work it might be?? Anyone run both?

We haven't been doing SPS for too long, but the Birdsnest and Yellow Pagoda are growing very quickly. The giant rufus (was purchased large 2 weeks ago) is a bit slower, about 1cm so far.

Right now we're dosing with Bionic and Purple Up which seems to help a lot. ;)

Stylaster - it was great meeting you too!

Frank - I can't wait to get your monti in here (naughty)

• 5 months later...

Thanks! We should update the FTS pics. Now it looks even better :-)

As filtration there is filter floss on top of chamber 2, sitting on some egg crate, then live rock rubble. I used to have a fuge with some cheato in chamber 2, but the submersible light failed 2 times. So now the cheato is into the display area.

In chamber 2 there is also the input and output of a Remora nano skimmer hob.

In chamber 3, where there was the blu sponge I run a bag of chemi pure elite.

The rest of the filtration is the huge amount of LR in the display.

The return pump was upgraded to a Maxy-Jet 900.

Thanks Jason!

We are also running a 10g Mixed, but it is slowly going to be a nano sps only tank. I'm running a 150w MH on top of it and most of the soft corals don't like all that light and there is not enought room to create some shade :-(

I'm for the mixed too, and so is gonna be the 65g we started 2 months ago :-)

post-5689-14186774883_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. i just got my fuge going on my 14 with some cheato and some live rubble under it. did you guys cut the intake "tab"? I read a lot about this to increase flow? Let me know what you think. And do you recommend any lfs to get a some chemi pure elite? I need to get some of that in the tank as well. Again, your tank looks great and i hope mine gets there one day as well! ill try and get some pix up soon!!

Thanks! We should update the FTS pics. Now it looks even better :-)

As filtration there is filter floss on top of chamber 2, sitting on some egg crate, then live rock rubble. I used to have a fuge with some cheato in chamber 2, but the submersible light failed 2 times. So now the cheato is into the display area.

In chamber 2 there is also the input and output of a Remora nano skimmer hob.

In chamber 3, where there was the blu sponge I run a bag of chemi pure elite.

The rest of the filtration is the huge amount of LR in the display.

The return pump was upgraded to a Maxy-Jet 900.

Yes I did, about 1 inch. Start with a little portion and see how it goes depending on your pump. I used a dremel and if worked great.

I think I saw the Elite at Waves and Saltwather Fantaseas.

Get the small guy (5oz), rinse it very well. Then place a rubber bend half way.

This will make very easy to fit it into that little spot where the blue sponge used to be (I removed it, as many other BC owners). Thas is the perfect position because the flow is gonna be forced to pass throught.

Alex

its about a month old, you say i should wait to put chemi pure in? how long?

Yes, it should be good for at least 3 months. You will notice when is time to change.

If your tank is inda new (let me say.. less than 2 months) I will wait before to put Chemi Pure.

@stylaster - Perry's chalice is doing great!