Sunset monti vs. Pink Lemonade

JasonH

Well, I don't usually think of Monti's as aggressive corals. I stupidly DOH! let my Pink Lemonade frag touch my sunset monti and came home to find about 20% of the Pink Lemonade gone. I've been nursing this thing from the smallest frag ever - I swear it was a single coralite when I got it from a friend.(sad)

Thanks, CA2OR, it's actually doing fine now. I was worried that it would react poorly after being attacked. I think frags are more sensitive than full grown corals. It's happy now - and look like it will regrown the killed section soon.

I saw a pic of your Season's Greatings - looks very cool. In a mature aquarium, I suppose it's inevitable that corals are going to grow into each other and fight it out a bit. I try to minmize the aggressive corals I keep - LPS are worse than SPS.

I had a hydnophora completely kill/eat a beautiful Stylophora, which sucked (even more for the stylophora). But that's my only complete loss from coral warfare. I don't have that hydnophora any more (threaten)

It's also smart to frag your corals in case of disaster. I had a colony of Superman Monti that I got from the original (Tubs/Bruddah) colony. Through a tank mishap (which may have been my fault (whistle) ) I lost the colony - fortunately, I had a (tiny) frag of it separately and it is now regrowing in my tank.

That would have been a huge loss. So frags are a good insurance policy.