Recommendations

CA2OR

No RODI unit, I pick my water up from Fred Meyer's water machine. The sand I got was used, picked it up from Rose City, I guess it was in a bucket for 2 weeks. I don't wanna have to wait no stinking 3 months for this to cycle. Probably going to have to though. I have heard that it should only take a week or less. What do you think?

I am pretty positive that the amonia is being released from the sand. I picked up 10g of water today to do a change tonight. However, after speaking with an old LFS of mine, and snowpunk, it has been believed that I shouldn't do a tank change until my amonia levels come down. So I don't know what to do. My experience, which is minimal in salt water anyway, tells me to do water changes to remove the amonia, but will that mess up the cycle process? I am going to test this water before I mix my salt to see if there is any amonia in it, but if there isn't then it has to be the sand right? Should I seed the sand?

Wait it out.

More live rock and chaeto or other macros is what I would suggest. It will take at least a week, the way you have it, for the bacteria to spread.

When the ammonia goes away, you might want to add some food or skimmate to get the ammonia up again. Watch the ammonia change to nitrite and then nitrate.