Whats the best camera

Jay

I am thinking about a new camera. I have a fugi finepix s7000 but it doesnt take all that great of pictures. Whats the best dream camera for taking all kinds of pictures? A good all around camera that also does good macro. I know nikon are good but which one?

Jay

What is your price range? If the sky is the limit, then you could get a great camera. If you have a budget, then you need to wory about the brand and model.

I just got (actually my wife just got) a Cannon xSi. I am happy with it, but still need to get a macro lens.

dsoz

I am wanting this one, but it is a little more then most will ever need... It is a great Nikon though(clap). Sit down and hold on to your wallet!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518490-REG/Nikon_25434_D3_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Nice! I have a D1X I bought used a few years ago and love it. I would have a hard time giving it up for any of the new models other than the D3 even though it has a tiny pixel count by today's standards. It would be nice to have a full frame CMOS sensor though. Guess I will have to wait a few years until these show up on the used market... Unless, of course, you get yours and then decide to get rid of it cheap (plotting)

I used a D1X for awhile. IME it's a piece of crap. I couldn't make large prints (maxed out at 20x24), had focusing problems, did not respond well in low light, and had a bunch of noise. I forget the model of lens we had for it, was a $1500 lens at the time. Thing is bulky as all get out too.

Replaced it with a 10D (it was awhile ago) and the 10D clowned it in every element mentioned, well except maybe in low light.

I've never gone back to the Nikon's from there. Completely felt burnt.

JME.

Personally I don't see a need for most people to go beyond a point and shoot camera at this point, unless your going to be actually working in the industry or a very serious hobbyist your not going to appreciate the differences, or know how to use them. Also in "pro" gear your going to invest so much the variety of lenses you are going to need you'd be better off with a simple point and shoot and a few thousand dollars richer.

For point and shoot's I like my Sony Cybershot. It's a DSC 300 or something like that. fists in the pocket, takes great pics. I don't want to lug around my "gear" at this point anyway. To much hassle.

Nice! I have a D1X I bought used a few years ago and love it. I would have a hard time giving it up for any of the new models other than the D3 even though it has a tiny pixel count by today's standards. It would be nice to have a full frame CMOS sensor though. Guess I will have to wait a few years until these show up on the used market... Unless' date=' of course, you get yours and then decide to get rid of it cheap (plotting)[/quote']

HAHA... your funny, It will have to go to the grave with me I think...

If you're looking for a general use camera, I agree with Pledosophy -- a decent quality point and shoot is probably more than enough camera for the typical users. However, if you're more serious about aquarium photography digital SLRs offer significantly better performance in a few key areas that are very important in aquarium photography: off-camera flash support, sensor size, noise, lens speed and optical quality, true macro capabilities and shutter responsiveness. Whether these capabilities are worth the extra expense is really up to the individual.

As far as Nikon vs. Canon vs. ... it's the usual brand-religion discussion (Mac vs. PC, Ford vs. Chevy, Coke vs. Pepsi, etc. etc.) Each has advantages and disadvantages; it's up to the buyer to do their research and make a decision based on what they learn.

I am wanting this one, but it is a little more then most will ever need... It is a great Nikon though(clap). Sit down and hold on to your wallet!!!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/518490-REG/Nikon_25434_D3_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Yea...I was thinking of buying that one right after my second corvette is payed for.....(laugh)

Nice though...but I was thinking about buying someones hot err uhh used camera for say 2-3 hundred.

Jay

I used a D1X for awhile. IME it's a piece of crap. I couldn't make large prints (maxed out at 20x24), had focusing problems, did not respond well in low light, and had a bunch of noise. I forget the model of lens we had for it, was a $1500 lens at the time. Thing is bulky as all get out too.

Replaced it with a 10D (it was awhile ago) and the 10D clowned it in every element mentioned, well except maybe in low light.

I've never gone back to the Nikon's from there. Completely felt burnt.

JME.

Personally I don't see a need for most people to go beyond a point and shoot camera at this point, unless your going to be actually working in the industry or a very serious hobbyist your not going to appreciate the differences, or know how to use them. Also in "pro" gear your going to invest so much the variety of lenses you are going to need you'd be better off with a simple point and shoot and a few thousand dollars richer.

For point and shoot's I like my Sony Cybershot. It's a DSC 300 or something like that. fists in the pocket, takes great pics. I don't want to lug around my "gear" at this point anyway. To much hassle.

This is what it always so entertaining about photo questions - people often have polar opposite preferences based on their experiences so it ends up being a very specific and personal choice. For what I do, I much preferred the Nikon for it's low light focus (which has been quite good in my hands) and the consistency and accuracy of it's exposure control using flash. I can live with the lower pixel count and a little noise since I don't make large prints and actually like the bulk of the camera. Just a personal thing...

Anyway - if you really want to invest in a pro DSLR it's probably worth going to pro-photo and renting one of each (cannon & nikon) for a weekend and spend some time shooting but this is going to be serious overkill for most people.

Pledosophy is the pro here and has some excellent advice - there are a lot of killer point and shoot or prosumer cameras out there for a few hundred dollars that will do everything you could want and they are getting better all the time. I can't even begin to keep up so will happily defer!

Beware of Abe's of Maine -- they're a bait'n'switch shop from way' date=' way back.[/quote']

Amen to that! I had forgotten about these guys but ran afoul of them back in the 80s. Calling on the phone was a kick - it was like being suddenly transported deep into the Bronx or something (no NY bashing implied).