Crab trapping?

albertareef

Anyone have any great ideas on how to trap a crab? I am thinking a baited "no exit" contraption of some sort but I'm sure someone on here has already been-there-done-that!

So I'm checking out the tank last night after the lights went off and caught a brief glimpse of a large claw poking out from the rockwork. What the... I don't have anything with claws like that (he thinks naively)! After some persistent snooping around with flashlights, I discoverd I have what looks like an emerald crab on steriods but with a smoother darker carapice than most - at least it looks that way in the dark about a foot into the rockwork. This critter must be super catious because I haven't seen him in the year and a half since I moved the tank and haven't added any rock since then. I assume he grew in situ. Anyway, I don't really want him in there but, short of tearing the tank apart, am not sure how to get him out.

It's always something...

Try taking a large glass or vase. Bait in the bottom, (make sure it is weighted down), then place it in the tank. Place it by leaning it against the rock near where you saw the crab.

The idea is that the crab will go after the bait in the glass. But will not be able to climb back up the smooth sides of the glass.

Good Luck!!!

Try taking a large glass or vase. Bait in the bottom, (make sure it is weighted down), then place it in the tank. Place it by leaning it against the rock near where you saw the crab.

The idea is that the crab will go after the bait in the glass. But will not be able to climb back up the smooth sides of the glass.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks - I will give it a try. I kept coming up with more complicated contraptions but simple is often best. I like it (clap)

If that doesn't work, try making a little tiny crab pot.(laugh)

If you have a toy boat too you can recreate a scaled down sceene of "Deadliest Catch". (whistle)

Yeah - the sad thing is I was actually thinking about that - well the crabpot part anyway. I hadn't thought about recreating "Deadliest Catch" but did have dreams about crabs last night... mostly attacking my poor inocent fish while they slept!(sad)

does it look anything like this? Sally lightfoot crab' date=' they get big, and look like a spider, but are good for the tank. You need to get a pick of it with a flash in the dark...[/quote']

I actually had a sally lightfoot (cool crab) but this thing has claws that were close to a half-inch long - which is one reason I'm anxious to get it out of my tank :eek:

:eek:Well good luck with that! I bet you wish it was a sally huh?:p

No doubt! Given that I have only seen one claw ever exposed and the best glimpse I got was of the critter about 8 inches into the rockwork I don't think I will ever get a pic of it... unless the trap works of course (plotting) I'm keeping my fingers crossed (and away from the rockwork at night) :D