10g sump

snowpunk

So here is the design I put together. Just looking for some yea's or nea's.

Water will flow in from the tank at the right. First chamber is 10" deep. I'm gonna place a filter bag around the flow in to catch and large particles. I'm also using a hang on skimmer with the powerhead in the first area.

Chamber 1 will hold 1.3g

Water will then flow over to the second chamber. This will be a mini refugium of sorts. Water will also be flowing in from the skimmer into this area. The water level here will be 9".

Chamber 2 will hold 4g

The water will then go through the bubble trap and into the final chamber to be pumped back into the tank. This chamber will be 8" tall.

Chamber 3 will hold 1.7g

I know this is kinda small but it's made to fit under the 48g corner tank. I think even at its size it will serve the purpose. Grow a little greenery under there, provide a place to skim out of the main tank, and filter out any large stuff.:D

post-3173-141867773124_thumb.jpg

Are you planning on putting sand in your fuge or just live rock?

I was thinking just live rock, but I could be persuaded if there was a good reason to put sand in(naughty) what are your thoughts on it?

As for the Figi mud, I don't use it but there are a few that do. I really know nothing about it.

I would put another baffle just on the left side of the one you have between chamber #1 and #2 Except go top down kind of like a bubble trap and leave that baffle about an inch above the bottom then elevate your rock with some sort of grateing so that water has to flow up through the rock instead of over it.I personally believe it is more efficent this way.This is the way mine is set up.Im not a fan of sand either,eventually turns into a nitrate factory IMO.

I would put another baffle just on the left side of the one you have between chamber #1 and #2 Except go top down kind of like a bubble trap and leave that baffle about an inch above the bottom then elevate your rock with some sort of grateing so that water has to flow up through the rock instead of over it.I personally believe it is more efficent this way.This is the way mine is set up.Im not a fan of sand either' date='eventually turns into a nitrate factory IMO.[/quote']

That makes a lot of sense having the water flow up through the rock rather than over it.

It's funny.

Some folks are not fans of refugiums.

Some are not fans of skimmers.

Some are not fans of any mechanical filtration.

Some are not fans of chemicals.

Some try not to ever do water changes.

Some fall into more than one of these.

Some are opposite of these.

Some are a mix of whatever.

And all of this can work in the right situation.

I for one love refugiums: for the pods and coral food, nutrient reduction, and water volume.

I don't need to skim but sometimes I like my skimmers. It's not a hard arguement to say that they take out food for corals and pods, and sometimes fish.

I don't like mechanical filtration because it takes out stuff that might be good, and not before it sits in the water to rot.

I try to do as little water changes as possible, partly because I'm lazy and partly because I try to save every cent for something better than salt.

Just my method. And my door is always open if you care to stop by and see how it works for me. Just PM me first because I"m not always home.

Thats one of the great things about this hobby.

I don't like fuges, i think they are a detrius sink. And its just another tank to clean. I do water changes every week religiously. It was the only thing that saved my tank when i had a terrible bout of cyano. I love my skimmer and have it modded to get the most out of it. I also use phosban and love the job it does of removing PO4.

And yet we both have thriving tanks! Gotta love that.

Thats one of the great things about this hobby.

I don't like fuges, i think they are a detrius sink. And its just another tank to clean. I do water changes every week religiously. It was the only thing that saved my tank when i had a terrible bout of cyano. I love my skimmer and have it modded to get the most out of it. I also use phosban and love the job it does of removing PO4.

And yet we both have thriving tanks! Gotta love that.

You know as I was thinking about placing a sump under my tank I thought of just this. I think I will cap hole and keep as is.(plotting)