How long should i run my new tank before i add my coral

littlenano

I would wait atleast 4 weeks before you even think about anything. It will take roughly that long to cycle the tank, assuming you are starting with everything brand new. After the cycle is complete, at that point I watch the water params. and make sure they are stable and within good range. Then you can add 'hardy' corals like mushrooms and such. Then sps and clams can be added later on, as long as lights are sufficent.

Just take your time... patience is your best friend in this hobby.

My $.02

I think it really depends on your system, how much live rock you have, and how "cured" the rock is. Test your water often, and track it.

I waited about 4 weeks until I added my first corals (Hammer head, mushrooms, and zoes) to my 36g bowfront (50 total gallons of water with sump). I added my first fish (2 clowns) at the 8 week mark. I started with 60-70 lbs of live rock from The Seahorse.

I tested Ammonia, Nitrates, and Nitrites every day for the first 4 weeks, but ever detected a spike in anything. Im guessing its was because all of my rock and sand was from a very well established system.

I think, from an absolute point of view, Brandy is right. The longer you can let a tank just sit full of live rock the better. Six months or more is suggested by people like Borneman. I could never wait that long, and would start slowly a couple of weeks after the tank finished cycling.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Read myth #15. If you can hold to it, you are a better reefer than I am. I made it 3 months and I bought a pair of clowns. I got tired of only watching hermit crabs fight each other over shells.

Good luck and take your time. Enjoy your tank in each phase, and don't try to rush to a new phase. Let your tank mature.

If you ever come to a meeting (like next Sunday), just let me know and I'll bring a cup of sand to help "seed" your sand bed. It will help with the maturation process.

dsoz :)

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Read myth #15. If you can hold to it, you are a better reefer than I am. I made it 3 months and I bought a pair of clowns. I got tired of only watching hermit crabs fight each other over shells.

Good luck and take your time. Enjoy your tank in each phase, and don't try to rush to a new phase. Let your tank mature.

dsoz :)

Yeah - this is why some of us have been know to cheat and buy mature systems from other more patient reefers (thanks Bob)! Of course, this comes with it's own challenges - like trying to move them without killing everything. DSoz had a good suggestion though as the more live sand/rock etc. you can add the faster your cycling should be. I would take him up on his offer if you can. Good luck!

When I got back into it a few years ago I just got some water from an established system (nephew was doing a water change so took some of his old water) Added cured rock and also a bunch of softies on the first day. Tank did great.

Do you have a tank to take water from? How much rock do you have to go into it? And last cured rock or not? If a new system then wait but for me I want instant reef(clap)

If you can get some rock and water from a running system it will help. If done that way the cycle will be almost nothing. I think when I did mine I had almsot no cycle at all. When I pulled my 90 down and switched to a Oceaninc I just bought ne sand and seeded it with a little out of my big tank. Also put in new rock that was cured from a LFS only thing I used form the old tank was the water. Also put in SPS, softies and whatever else I had. Tank turned out great with no issues.

I could never wait out the 6 mths. After reading and gathering all the hardware I bought live rock, got sand and some water from an aged tank. Tested daily and at the end of week 2 every thing settle in with great readings. I then added some zoos and a few soft corals. Every thing is doing great.

Lots of great advise here, keep reading and learning